Boiler/Heating Megathread - Advice & Recommendations, No Jobs/Quotes/Advertising

The pressure in my combi boiler started regularly going up to 3 bar so my plumber told me it needed a new expansion vessel (£170). It was replaced and has made no difference. He's trying to tell me this pressure is normal and its nothing to worry about Am I correct in saying this isn't normal ?

Hi 

Looking for advice, I have an Alpha Eco combi Boiler, serviced 2 months ago, however its started to develop an issue where the hot water is taking an age to warm up (its fairly intermittent, varying between 30 seconds to 8 minutes) 

Watch the boiler display when it is having issues the temperature readout drops and I can see (and hear) the pilot try to start, however it lasts only a second and switches off, it repeats this cycle several times until it eventually comes on fully and the water heats normally.  Occasionally I've seen an E96 error on the screen, but this disappears after a few seconds.

The pressure meter is showing as slightly high, but not massively so.  I live in a small Bungalow, so was wondering if the water flow was too fast for the boiler to accurately cope with? 

I'm assuming I need to call out a boiler to look at it, if so does anyone have any recommendations (i'm in S8) as I've not had much luck with Tradesmen over the past few years :( 

Thank you 

Edited by Gunstar_Hero
Clarified boiler type

I'm looking for a gas Safe registered plumber who could quote to fix a gas fire & fitting a thermostatic bath/shower tap. Work to be done anytime in January, if anyone has any recommendations?

The gas fire needs a service & currently I have an electric shower. I'd like to run a shower from the Combi boiler - an ideal 30kw logic + through the bath taps. 

My Glow Worm 30cxi is leaking from the right hand side. I can hear a slight hissing sound and can see a fine mist of water towards the back right of the boiler. The blue refill tap is turned off. I have boiler cover but they can't get anyone out until Tuesday. Can anyone tell how I can stop the leak for now as I can't be around all the time until Tuesday to keep emptying the bucket.

Hello, I want to get my expansion tank replaced. My hot water is electrically heated. I am trying to find the contact number for J Bradleybz  ( Jonathan Bradley Heating Services - I believe is his firm name) but cant find any website or contact number for them. Could someone please share the contact details. Thanks

MY landlord has just installed a new boiler and has kindly provided a programmable wi-fi room thermostat but left it with me, : the instructions are awful and i just cant find a way to get the CH on, HW is fine, it is the Strom RF Programmable Thermostat, SSRTPRo6, it also has a unit next to thew boiler, which has a manual switch and one called M/A, the manual one is lit up, tx

it is this one

https://www.tradesuppliesonline.com/heating-c15/thermostats-c169/strom-programmable-room-thermostat-rf-with-receiver-p8261

UPDATE, I pressed the M/A one and CH came on, have'nt got a clue about the timer, etc, I would rather just call for water for CH when I need it.

Edited by gamezone07

Update, the pressure has gonedown to 0 and I need to fill it to one bar, anyone know which levers on the boiler i need to operate to undertake this, tx

It is an Ideal Combi Boiler

Edited by gamezone07

9 hours ago, gamezone07 said:

Update, the pressure has gonedown to 0 and I need to fill it to one bar, anyone know which levers on the boiler i need to operate to undertake this, tx

It is an Ideal Combi Boiler

Just wanted to see what the general thoughts are out there re boilers. First time I've had to purchase one.  Live in a 3 bed semi 1950s build so decent size with the Mrs and 4 year old. 

Need a new boiler it seems to be the done thing to go with a combi. With the perceived advantages being more space/less noise as a result of the the hot water tank being removed. Also unlimited hot water.

Had a chat with my dad, he and my mum have a similar size house to mine. His thought is he'd never go with a combi feels the traditional system is more reliable. Also the traditional system allows for back up hot water.

I'm sure they'll be other advantages/disadvantages though would welcome your thoughts

Thanks