Boiler/Heating Megathread - Advice & Recommendations, No Jobs/Quotes/Advertising

If you have an unvented cylinder, make sure you check the Gas Safe website to check that the person you get to work on it has the unvented qualification. Not everyone who is Gas Safe has this. However, as this job would be on the heating side, I would think that the G3 qualification is not required. A quick phone call to Gas Safe (0800 408 5500) should clarify matters.

Edited by leelister6

I have a towel warmer in a room that is no longer a bathroom and I'd like to change it over to a normal radiator. My central heating system is a system boiler - Glow-worm Flexicom 30sx and I'm reliably informed (by the company that I engage to do GSCs) that I need a qualified GCH Engineer who carries a "unvented badge"(?) to work on this kind of system.

Sheffield Forum is always good at providing names of trusted and capable people who can get the job done... any recommendations or even any takers from forumers?

Hi we are unvented fitters we install and work on them every week, we would be happy to quote but you would have to wait until the 3rd week in January for the installation from us many thanks Jon at JB Heating Services.

I have a problem with my boiler and I am hoping some engineer might have an idea what the problem is.

It is a 11 year old Vailant condensing boiler but not a combi. Fine all year for the hot water system (hot water cylinder) but then when we put the heating on in October we get a noise in the system.

At first it sounded like a noisy heating pump but this noise has been identified as coming from the heat exchanger which is in the basement. The pump is on the first floor and is quiet.

Turn the thermostat up and it stops. Turn the heating off but not the water and it stops.

Any ideas?

No heating , hot water and I also have no gas to my hob!

Called a plumber and he says the gas must have been turned off in the street, it doesn't appear to have been though!

HELP

if you have a smart meter, your gas could have been disconnected remotely by your supplier.

I do have a smart meter! (E.On)

But why would they disconnect it?

Not in arrears or anything!

Just looked at the meter in the box outside and the digital display is blank!

i am guessing that the battery in the smart meter needs replacing then. this should restore normal service. i don't and won't have a smart meter so i can't tell you how to do this. but i am surprised your plumber didn't spot and sort this, he was probably not a gas engineer.

other forum users may be able to tell you how to change the battery, alternatively, google "how do i change the battery in my smart meter?" there will probably be a you-tube video.

let us know how you get on.

It's not the smart meter that is blank..it's the one outside in the box with electric meter, which would indicate the gas has been turned off by the supplier E.On who I am unable to contact today!:rant:

Edited by 56cheffy

OUCH!

looks like you will have to er... chill out til they open tomorrow, which is a bank holiday!

i am sure there should be an emergency number you can call to get your gas restored?

council's gas emergency number is 0800 111 999 give them a try, see if they are answering and can advise / sort it.

Tomorrow is bank holiday!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Arghhhhhhhhhhhhh:rant:

---------- Post added 03-01-2017 at 15:47 ----------

After 3 days without gas I finally managed to contact E.On today. There are no emergency/out of hours numbers available on there website or on their recorded telephone messages.

I was told initially that it was a problem with my prepayment meter (I don't have a prepayment meter) so then they tell me it a 'rebine' (drop in pressure)) that affected only my house!

She directed me to the outside meter and I was told to press some coloured buttons, from memory A B A and miraculously I had gas again.

Can anyone confirm that a drop in pressure and that pressing these three buttons would restore my gas if it was because I don't believe them.

Tomorrow is bank holiday!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Arghhhhhhhhhhhhh:rant:

---------- Post added 03-01-2017 at 15:47 ----------

After 3 days without gas I finally managed to contact E.On today. There are no emergency/out of hours numbers available on there website or on their recorded telephone messages.

I was told initially that it was a problem with my prepayment meter (I don't have a prepayment meter) so then they tell me it a 'rebine' (drop in pressure)) that affected only my house!

She directed me to the outside meter and I was told to press some coloured buttons, from memory A B A and miraculously I had gas again.

Can anyone confirm that a drop in pressure and that pressing these three buttons would restore my gas if it was because I don't believe them.

just looked at the eon website, bit late now for you but if you click " for your home" then " services" there is the info you were wanting. in case you have the problem again the emergency number is 0800111999.

Hi, I posted this yesterday but in the wrong section. I need a mechanical timeswitch for my Vaillant ecotec pro28. It was installed on 2011 and the current switch is a 130 type. Will a 150 one fit and if so where's the best place to get one locally. Thanks.