Boiler/Heating Megathread - Advice & Recommendations, No Jobs/Quotes/Advertising

Have just received a quote to replace my current combi boiler with a Baxi Duo-tec 28kw with a magnetic filter and a Nest smart thermostat for £2100.

By my calculations the cost of boiler, smart thermostat and all parts required to carry out the job come to no more than £1300. Is the approx price of £800 labour to replace a combi in the same location with minimal changes required about the right price? Too me this appears a high price for labour??

Does anybody on here want to provide me with a competing quote please?

Hi it sounds reasonable to me but I'm not a fan of Baxi combi boilers I would definitely go with the Ideal Logic plus, it's got a 7 year warranty and it would reduce your quotation by a little.

Wondering if you requested the Nest? Would a standard wireless programmable room thermostat not be ok for you this would also reduce the quote cheers Jon at JB Heating Services.

Hi it sounds reasonable to me but I'm not a fan of Baxi combi boilers I would definitely go with the Ideal Logic plus, it's got a 7 year warranty and it would reduce your quotation by a little.

Wondering if you requested the Nest? Would a standard wireless programmable room thermostat not be ok for you this would also reduce the quote cheers Jon at JB Heating Services.

Hi Jon

Yes we requested the nest because of the auto-away facility as we work irritatic hours and a regular 7-day scheduler doesn't work for us. also the facility to control it remotely to tell it we are coming home!

Why don't you like the Baxi? Friends have been positive about both Baxi and Ideal. The plumber who quoted recommended the Baxi as he has one. FYI the Baxi also has a 7 year warranty.

---------- Post added 05-12-2016 at 18:09 ----------

Swapping a combi for another combi in the same location, given there is already 22mm gas supply then that does sound a bit steep. Vat can impact on a quote. I am not vat registered so can comfortably beat companies who are vat registered. Happy to view your property and provide a written quote, cheers, Steve

Hi Steve

When we initially had a problem with the boiler a fortnight ago I left you a voicemail and a text message but you never got back to me and so we found someone else to come out and look at the problem.

Hi Jon

Yes we requested the nest because of the auto-away facility as we work irritatic hours and a regular 7-day scheduler doesn't work for us. also the facility to control it remotely to tell it we are coming home!

Why don't you like the Baxi? Friends have been positive about both Baxi and Ideal. The plumber who quoted recommended the Baxi as he has one. FYI the Baxi also has a 7 year warranty.

---------- Post added 05-12-2016 at 18:09 ----------

Hi Steve

When we initially had a problem with the boiler a fortnight ago I left you a voicemail and a text message but you never got back to me and so we found someone else to come out and look at the problem.

Hi the Nest is good I was just checking it was what you wanted and not just already on the quote for you.

The Baxi boilers put me off personally because I have attended a lot this year for all the similar problem of water leaks from the valves and internal.

The Ideal boilers that I like are nice to install and there is no funny business with warranty when needed unlike alot of manufacturer's who look for the slightest thing to void your warranty.

We have fitted hundreds over the last four years and been honest there has been approximately 6 visits under warranty.

Happy to view and quote to give you a second option on price many thanks Jon.

Hello

All of my upstairs radiators are cold when I put the heating on. My boiler is about 5years old, I've checked the pressure and that's fine. Does anyone have any ideas what it could be before I fork out for a plumber?

The heating has really been used since feb.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Hello

All of my upstairs radiators are cold when I put the heating on. My boiler is about 5years old, I've checked the pressure and that's fine. Does anyone have any ideas what it could be before I fork out for a plumber?

The heating has really been used since feb.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Make sure you have bled all the upstairs radiators to ensure there is no air in them....you will probably need to top up the pressure afterwards. If problem persists, switch heating on then try turning off each radiator downstairs, to try to force the heat to the problem radiators upstairs....obviously make sure BOTH valves on each radiator upstairs are open

Take Steve's advise (Corgigasman) hes done work on our heating system and is very knowledgeable as are one or two others on here, but we went with Steve, so if you do what he has suggested hopefully you will get your heating back working correctly, failing that give steve a call.

Regards

Paul

What's a ball park figure of having a boiler moved from a loft in to a kitchen ?

I had a bad experience with Steve/Corgigasman not communicating properly and wrote a review that said that on here. Why has it been removed?

I had a bad experience with Steve/Corgigasman not communicating properly and wrote a review that said that on here. Why has it been removed?

Would the mods see it as naming and shaming ?as that's against forum rules

my boiler Alpha 280e is losing pressure , water coming out of the over flow ,I've just changed the filler loop & valve, still losing pressure , will it need a replacement expansion vessel ? If so how much supply & fit

Regards Carl

my boiler Alpha 280e is losing pressure , water coming out of the over flow ,I've just changed the filler loop & valve, still losing pressure , will it need a replacement expansion vessel ? If so how much supply & fit

Regards Carl

If you mean you've got water coming out of the blow off pipe, the copper pipe that simply goes outside, likely to be the Pressure Relief Valve that's gone. Expect around £15-£20 for the part plus fitting.

I have a towel warmer in a room that is no longer a bathroom and I'd like to change it over to a normal radiator. My central heating system is a system boiler - Glow-worm Flexicom 30sx and I'm reliably informed (by the company that I engage to do GSCs) that I need a qualified GCH Engineer who carries a "unvented badge"(?) to work on this kind of system.

Sheffield Forum is always good at providing names of trusted and capable people who can get the job done... any recommendations or even any takers from forumers?