Boiler/Heating Megathread - Advice & Recommendations, No Jobs/Quotes/Advertising

Hi,

I've had a Vaillant boiler for a few years which after its warranty expired, I got it covered with Homeserve that gave me an annual service (that I've never got incidentally) but to my chagrin, I've realised my boiler is covered with Home Emergency with Halifax. However, reading the fine print it suggests regular maintenance and I was wondering if anyone can signpost to a company that might be able to do this? My boiler has had no issues but just want piece of mind if it does that my home insurance won't refuse to look at it without maintenance information. I don't think Homeserve offer an boiler service agreement on its own sadly.

To validate any warranty (and I expect any cover/insurance plan) then a boiler requires servicing annually, ALSO the system must be 'adequately maintained'. by fitting a magnetic filter, cleansing the system and refilling with inhibitor added then this would satisfy the 'adequately maintained' part, you then just clean your filter regularly and top up your inhibitor annually during a service. A boiler service costs from £40, though the Vaillant will require a new seal fitted every 5yrs as a minimum (extra £20). Hope this helps, cheers, Steve

Our boiler has stopped working, so, no hot water or heating. We're considering going with British Gas, either a one off repair or repair and protect; unless we'd be better off with a local gas/heating engineer. Any recommendations or helpful suggestions?

Thanks,

Help!

The pressure on the boiler is at zero, but,

When I try and turn the valve to repressurise it, water comes pouring out.

I really can't afford am engineer right now, so Amy advise very welcome.

Help!

The pressure on the boiler is at zero, but,

When I try and turn the valve to repressurise it, water comes pouring out.

I really can't afford am engineer right now, so Amy advise very welcome.

Does it come out from inside the boiler ? If so I'd suspect an internal pipe has burst or a joint has come loose

it's a Worcester boiler, had it less than a year.

There is a plastic key thing (technical term ;) ) and the smaller plastic screw/valve to the left of it.

When I turn the screw/valve to repressurize it, water pour out over my hand, until I turn it back. I can't see where the water comes from exactly though. Hope that makes some sense?

Isn't it still under some kind of warranty after less than a year?

Has the filling loop flexible pipe been fitted, most people leave these on, but maybe yours is not fitted being new? just guessing try to find your instructions or Google for them or Google how to repressure your boiler, you should be able to see if this is problem?

There is a plastic key thing (technical term ;) ) and the smaller plastic screw/valve to the left of it.

When I turn the screw/valve to repressurize it, water pour out over my hand, until I turn it back. I can't see where the water comes from exactly though. Hope that makes some sense?

The key is not in correctly.....these WB internal fill loop is a very poor design. You have to FULLY insert the key, then turn it quarter a turn for it to open, then open the white tap just next to the key to pressure up. If the key is not inserted correctly then water just comes out

hi steve /corgigasman , just wanted to say thank you for fitting our new boiler , very pleased with your workmanship , very clean tidy work , and honest and reliable , would recommend to anyone , see you for boiler service

cheers gary and tracy .

hi steve /corgigasman , just wanted to say thank you for fitting our new boiler , very pleased with your workmanship , very clean tidy work , and honest and reliable , would recommend to anyone , see you for boiler service

cheers gary and tracy .

Thank you for your feedback, it is greatly appreciated

Have just received a quote to replace my current combi boiler with a Baxi Duo-tec 28kw with a magnetic filter and a Nest smart thermostat for £2100.

By my calculations the cost of boiler, smart thermostat and all parts required to carry out the job come to no more than £1300. Is the approx price of £800 labour to replace a combi in the same location with minimal changes required about the right price? Too me this appears a high price for labour??

Does anybody on here want to provide me with a competing quote please?

Have just received a quote to replace my current combi boiler with a Baxi Duo-tec 28kw with a magnetic filter and a Nest smart thermostat for £2100.

By my calculations the cost of boiler, smart thermostat and all parts required to carry out the job come to no more than £1300. Is the approx price of £800 labour to replace a combi in the same location with minimal changes required about the right price? Too me this appears a high price for labour??

Does anybody on here want to provide me with a competing quote please?

Swapping a combi for another combi in the same location, given there is already 22mm gas supply then that does sound a bit steep. Vat can impact on a quote. I am not vat registered so can comfortably beat companies who are vat registered. Happy to view your property and provide a written quote, cheers, Steve