Boiler/Heating Megathread - Advice & Recommendations, No Jobs/Quotes/Advertising

Can anyone give me an idea of how much it would cost to supply and fit a diverter valve on a Gloworm 30cxi? Hot water is working but radiators don't heat up although pump can be heard working. I have breakdown cover but there is an excess to pay so not sure whether to use this or get a repair done when having a boiler service and system flushed.

Hi i would get this checked first before buying any spares or costs will rise if fitting wrong parts, you can just get a new repair cartridge but to be honest if your excess is not a major amount i would use your insurance cheers Jon at JB Heating Services.

Can anyone recommend a boiler engineer competent with a chaffoteaux centora green boiler.. Its a system boiler thats not working.. thanks..

I’d like some advice please. I rent out a house that I used to live in. Recently there have been problems with the boiler. The plumber has been back and forward ruling out various things until it became clear that a new boiler was the only way forward. I discussed this with the plumber and floated the idea of fitting a combi boiler so that the tank in the back bedroom could be removed to create more space. The plumber told me that this wouldn’t be a good idea because a combi boiler wouldn’t fit in the kitchen cupboard that the old boiler was in. So I agreed to swap the boiler for the same type.

I’ve been to look at the work today and found that the new boiler does not fit in the old cupboard so the plumber has taken the door off the cupboard and the bottom of the cupboard. On the cupboard wall on the outside wall a big square hole has been hacked out and the round pipe goes through it through the outside wall. The bottom of the boiler hangs below the line of the bottom of the run of other cupboards on that wall.

I hope that I have described it sufficiently. In short it looks a right mess. I feel very annoyed but I’m not sure what could be done to rectify the situation now. And what I should say / suggest to the plumber to put things right. Can anyone advise me please?

Slightly different issue at my house but given somebody asked about a good Gas Safe registered engineer, I thought I would share my recommendation on this board. I originally got Steve's number from this forum but on an old thread.

I had Steve come in to my house to do a Powerflush. After my heaters were still not working he advised that he could not charge me until he absolutely solved the problem.

He advised that he needed to find the manifolds in the house has these were inevitably blocked up, the issue was that they lay somewhere under the floor boards of my 4 bed property. He used his skills to carefully locate where these were, this involved pulling up the carpet and then cutting holes into the floor boards to find them. He did all this on a 2nd and 3rd day but found them, replaced the blocked up manifolds, left everything perfectly working without any creaks in the floorboards and tidied up nicely after having laid down dust sheets.

I was so pleased with his persistence, patience and professionalism. He promised to solve the problem at the start and that's exactly what he did! I was especially pleased as I'd had so many 'qualified' people in previously to do various stuff with my system but to no avail....and they walked away with my money.

I will always use Steve now for bolier and heater related stuff, he is highly recommended!!

His number is 07914 356608. I'm sure he won't mind me sharing as its on another thread.

Slightly different issue at my house but given somebody asked about a good Gas Safe registered engineer, I thought I would share my recommendation on this board. I originally got Steve's number from this forum but on an old thread.

I had Steve come in to my house to do a Powerflush. After my heaters were still not working he advised that he could not charge me until he absolutely solved the problem.

He advised that he needed to find the manifolds in the house has these were inevitably blocked up, the issue was that they lay somewhere under the floor boards of my 4 bed property. He used his skills to carefully locate where these were, this involved pulling up the carpet and then cutting holes into the floor boards to find them. He did all this on a 2nd and 3rd day but found them, replaced the blocked up manifolds, left everything perfectly working without any creaks in the floorboards and tidied up nicely after having laid down dust sheets.

I was so pleased with his persistence, patience and professionalism. He promised to solve the problem at the start and that's exactly what he did! I was especially pleased as I'd had so many 'qualified' people in previously to do various stuff with my system but to no avail....and they walked away with my money.

I will always use Steve now for bolier and heater related stuff, he is highly recommended!!

His number is 07914 356608. I'm sure he won't mind me sharing as its on another thread.

Thank you for the feedback, much appreciated and glad you are happy with the work, Steve :-)

Hi, it could be the pressure relief valve, as it drips when it's knackered. Think it happens when system pressure repeatedly goes too high, and the valve wears out. Or I could be talking rubbish!

Does anyone have any experience with locinvars?

And also looking for a quote to replace the pair, approx 70kw each.

Some threads already exist but are old.

I need a plumber due to the one who came round to look at the job never getting back to me, despite my phone calls and texts and his failed promises to get in touch. I hate this kind of shoddy business practice.

My girlfriend's central heating and hot water has packed in and need someone reliable to come round as soon as possible. Probably easy, maybe not. I know very little about plumbing.

Any recommendations? (We're talking 'reliable' here)

Ta.

I had hot water supply and hot radiators this summer. The boiler sames still working but the radiators is not hot at all, just luke warm.

Anybody give a bisic idea what could be the problem? Is it going to be a big job?

Many thanks

I had hot water supply and hot radiators this summer. The boiler sames still working but the radiators is not hot at all, just luke warm.

Anybody give a bisic idea what could be the problem? Is it going to be a big job?

Many thanks

Could be a number of things (air, sludge, pump, diverter), happy to have a look and offer advice, cheers, Steve

Steve- are you able to contact me? Having issues with my Ideal boiler and it needs a service. Have PMd you!

Steve- are you able to contact me? Having issues with my Ideal boiler and it needs a service. Have PMd you!

Left you a voicemail :-)