Boiler/Heating Megathread - Advice & Recommendations, No Jobs/Quotes/Advertising

Potterton Promax 15/2 HE Plus - 10years old. Last service a year ago.

For past year once or twice a month the boiler didn’t start the heating in the morning. Pump and motorised valves were working OK. Only after pressing a reset button on the boiler all started up OK (ignition lockout). For some reason this boiler has LEDs hidden, so I never knew what the problem was before.

Yesterday, the boiler wouldn’t start. Reset wouldn’t work. Tried to switch it off from mains, reset it many times, but still no fan or light would start. I removed the cover and noticed. ”Low Electrical Supply” LED warning according the manual, but that only lasted until I reset it few more times and all started working OK.

This morning the boiler wouldn’t start, but this time“Dry-Fyre” fault was showing all day, 2-3min after the boiler power up.

The water is in the system (I checked the loft tank), the pump is spinning. I bled radiators, but I could not get the fan working…. I measured the continuity on the Flow Switch inline connector and there was no resistance when the boiler was off or on. Later in the evening I tried few resets, as we needed hot water, and the boiler lit up as if nothing happened. All radiators are hot and the water cylinder full of hot water for today, but I fear it will be the same story tomorrow.

Is it PCB at fault?

Is there an RGI expert that could diagnose the fault and fix it? I would need a full CH system check as well as it hasn’t been done for long time except the boiler service or bleeding radiators.

How much would it cost?

Thank you.

Hi if you give me a call I could go through the problems over the phone

Thank you

Scott

Looking for recommendations for a gas safe reliable boiler installer please.

To remove and replace combi boiler

Contact me via pm.

Thankyou

I have had it installed in my conservatory, good system but Thermaskirt do not offer any customer service. They could not complete the install as they had not sent all the parts, they sent the missing parts next day but refused to come back & complete the job claiming we had paid for a training day although I asked for a supply & install service. Had to get another plumber to complete the works. Only after several weeks & emails did they offer to book it in, in 3-4 weeks but we had already got it finished by then. finally they did refund a few hours of the training but not enough to cover the costs of an alternative plumber completing the job.

MD Martin is not very polite in emails & would not speak tome to attempt to resolve the issue.

Looking for recommendations for a gas safe reliable boiler installer please.

To remove and replace combi boiler

Contact me via pm.

Thankyou

Hi if you give me a call in morning more than happy to go through boiler job with you and got many references for your piece of mind

Regards Jonathan

Steve could you give me a call please re the work you have quoted for...can't get hold of you by phone

Cheers

Sent you am e-mail, cheers, Steve :-)

Potterton Promax 15/2 HE Plus - 10years old. Last service a year ago.

For past year once or twice a month the boiler didn’t start the heating in the morning. Pump and motorised valves were working OK. Only after pressing a reset button on the boiler all started up OK (ignition lockout). For some reason this boiler has LEDs hidden, so I never knew what the problem was before.

Yesterday, the boiler wouldn’t start. Reset wouldn’t work. Tried to switch it off from mains, reset it many times, but still no fan or light would start. I removed the cover and noticed. ”Low Electrical Supply” LED warning according the manual, but that only lasted until I reset it few more times and all started working OK.

This morning the boiler wouldn’t start, but this time“Dry-Fyre” fault was showing all day, 2-3min after the boiler power up.

The water is in the system (I checked the loft tank), the pump is spinning. I bled radiators, but I could not get the fan working…. I measured the continuity on the Flow Switch inline connector and there was no resistance when the boiler was off or on. Later in the evening I tried few resets, as we needed hot water, and the boiler lit up as if nothing happened. All radiators are hot and the water cylinder full of hot water for today, but I fear it will be the same story tomorrow.

Is it PCB at fault?

Is there an RGI expert that could diagnose the fault and fix it? I would need a full CH system check as well as it hasn’t been done for long time except the boiler service or bleeding radiators.

How much would it cost?

Thank you.

Thank you all who offered help. It was PCB that was at fault. It took 5-10min to start the fan when the boiler was cold and then it was OK. A new PCB resolved the problem. I could hear a high pitch buzzing in old PCB, so it could be some cold contacts or capacitors/diodes gone.

I am in process of replacing one radiator and I'd like to know where I could buy :

two 0.5m long 10mm Barrier PE-X Coiled Pipes (Speedfit) and 4x 10mm JG Speedfit pipe inserts with double seals?

Most shops sells 10m+ long pipes and 50 inserts and that's too much for what I need.

Thank you

Dusan.

could some one recommend a gas / boiler engineer to look at my dads very old glow worm boiler ? westfield area . its been fine but hot water is not great . you may pm me any pointers or advice

could some one recommend a gas / boiler engineer to look at my dads very old glow worm boiler ? westfield area . its been fine but hot water is not great . you may pm me any pointers or advice

All plumbing and gas work undertaken

Call for free quote 07805122223

I'm Killamarsh so local to you

Hi There, my Ravenheat (Yes, I know!) condensing combi (about 10 years old) is starting to fail and I'm thinking it might be time for a new boiler.

Can anyone give me a very rough estimate for a straight swap-out for a reasonable 26kw (or thereabouts) boiler? It's wall mounted on an external wall in the kitchen above a worktop.

Hi There, my Ravenheat (Yes, I know!) condensing combi (about 10 years old) is starting to fail and I'm thinking it might be time for a new boiler.

Can anyone give me a very rough estimate for a straight swap-out for a reasonable 26kw (or thereabouts) boiler? It's wall mounted on an external wall in the kitchen above a worktop.

Hi happy to view the job and quote for you cheers Jon at JB Heating Services.

Evening all,

I'm getting a quote in for a new combo boiler, I'm in a 3bed semi to gauge requirements.

Anyone had a combi replaced recently? Mind saying what you paid and (if they were good) which boiler fitter you used?

Ta