Boiler/Heating Megathread - Advice & Recommendations, No Jobs/Quotes/Advertising

Moved in to a house other day and no matter what temp i set the salus thermostat to the boiler stays on?! Replaced batteries in it and turned all the settings to 10°c and still the boiler keeps kicking up...any ideas?

Had similar problem with a friend's, suspected it was getting interference from another device so altered frequency and been ok since (6 months ago)....I assume yours is a wireless device ? Either way, should be simple to diagnose for any heating engineer

Had similar problem with a friend's, suspected it was getting interference from another device so altered frequency and been ok since (6 months ago)....I assume yours is a wireless device ? Either way, should be simple to diagnose for any heating engineer

Found out how to re sync it so trying that later, if no joy ill get someone out

Has anybody had there heating replaced by Aqua Interiors on behalf of sheffield city council and had any problems? ?

Nope, quite the opposite.

Just had mine done, first day plumbers and then electrical.

Did the job, kept the house clean, tidied as they worked were polite and professional.

I'm not tarring all kier but the ones I have experienced have either botched the job or done their best to pass it over to someone else.

I was expecting the same here but I was pleasantly surprised.

Professional and hard working plus the right attitude.

Hi, I'm glad to here yours went well , was it Aqua or YPS that did yours ? YPS did my mums and did a great job . Along with my downstairs looking a real mess with pipes running down the walls in every room downstairs, my new fridge was damaged and my kitchen flooring.

Mine was Aqua, we already had down drops in trunking because we have concrete floors so the only change there is we will have to touch up the paint.

We did have to take up the laminate flooring upstairs (we knew when we moved in it would be done eventually so only laid bargain stuff) and move our wardrobe tracks.

How did they damage the fridge? Is it fixable?

What did they say when you pointed it out or did you not notice?

For the down drops undercoat and paint disguises them, the days of channels for pipes and wires are long gone for scc now everything is surface mounted.

I have floor boards downstairs but expensive laminate in living room which I didn't want to take up so they said it wouldn't be a problem and they would use the existing pipe work downstairs, but they changed it all on the day and I have pipes down all the walls which I have paid to have plastered over the years , and there are quite deep scratches on the fridge which is black high gloss so stands out like a sore thumb .

---------- Post added 18-09-2015 at 20:47 ----------

Has anyone had any problems with the company's that sheffield city council are using for there heating replacement programme as in quality of workmanship and damage ??

---------- Post added 18-09-2015 at 20:48 ----------

Has anyone had any problems with the company's that sheffield city council are using for there heating replacement programme as in quality of workmanship and damage ??

Hey up gents, potterton suprima locked out,won't delight, turn power off,boiler runs through ignition sequence,fan runs,zone valve opens,pump runs, that's ya lot, goes to flashing red lights 2/3 Times a second, had a new PCB about 4 years ago, and just before it went it sounded like the fan was squealing. Do you think its something minor or does it sounded like the ocb, and if so has anyone had any experience of the Siemens replacement or refurbed PCBs???

Would need to do a full diagnostic check to be certain but PCB is notorious on this boiler. Refurbs are cheaper, last new one I got from Heatparts was about £200, which is a bit steep considering you can get a new third generation for much less online. I am finding the third generation are better but know of a couple that have only lasted 4-5yrs. Never heard of the Siemens alternative, I only ever use manufacturers own parts

Would need to do a full diagnostic check to be certain but PCB is notorious on this boiler. Refurbs are cheaper, last new one I got from Heatparts was about £200, which is a bit steep considering you can get a new third generation for much less online. I am finding the third generation are better but know of a couple that have only lasted 4-5yrs. Never heard of the Siemens alternative, I only ever use manufacturers own parts

Cheers Corgi, been looking online re this and I've got the new type PCB in which is unlikely to be the cause, I'm leaning towards either the air pressure switch or the fan bearings possibly, what's your thoughts on this.

Always tend to check fan and APS first as part of diagnosis, if fan is noisy then may well be that

My Vallient 831 seems to be playing up. We have hot water but no heating. Anyone got any ideas ( I wonder if it is a divertor or something stuck). Guess we should have had it serviced last year but forgot...