Boiler/Heating Megathread - Advice & Recommendations, No Jobs/Quotes/Advertising

I havnt had central heating before, and I am wonder the mot economical way to control the heat. At present we use the controls on each heater, its always off in the kitchen. And then putting the dail on the wall to 20* when we want it warm.

Our days are very varied, how can I set it up, so that I can use the one hour button?

If you are going to be home all day for example, an economical way would be to have the heating on low and constant, but not at 20 degrees, maybe about 14 or 15 degrees.

As for the one hour option on your varied days, it will be best for someone to show you how to do that. Difficult to explain on the forum, and there are different controls whereby they are set-up differently.

Personally I have the gas fire on constantly in one room only, usually on the lowest setting. If I feel the rest of the house is getting a bit too cold I put the heating on for about 15 minutes to take the chill off. That suits me ok but there is no-one else here to please only me.

HELP! We've just moved into a house and I can't figure out how to fill the CH system. I've got the manual and I know which tap it is, but turning the tap does nothing. Is there likely to be another tap somewhere? (It's a Hydroline B24 . . . yeah, I know)

The heating works right now but is on the borderline of going under 1 bar. Got an engineer coming Monday but I'm worried we won't make it til then.

can i have a thermostat fitted?

i have a combi boiler fitted upstairs and no thermostat BG only offered the hive one at £149,

can any gas safe person fit one?and how much am i looking at please?

can i have a thermostat fitted?

i have a combi boiler fitted upstairs and no thermostat BG only offered the hive one at £149,

can any gas safe person fit one?and how much am i looking at please?

Hi happy to help pm sent cheers jon at JB Heating.

Hi happy to help pm sent cheers jon at JB Heating.

thanks for doing a great job,i will be in touch again soon thanks:)

I'm considering getting rid off all the old radiators in the house and replacing them with Therma Skirt. Could anyone tell me if it's any good and how much does it cost? Many thanks!

Our boiler is sited in our cellar. There is a small white box (brand name Bose) on the wall just below it (some sort of pump??) which has jus started making a lot of noise. From this limited info can anyone suggest what the probelm is?

Thanks

Our boiler is sited in our cellar. There is a small white box (brand name Bose) on the wall just below it (some sort of pump??) which has jus started making a lot of noise. From this limited info can anyone suggest what the probelm is?

Thanks

Hi its pts own make and its a condensate pump and if it's making a noise it could be blocked

Hi its pts own make and its a condensate pump and if it's making a noise it could be blocked

Thanks for this prompt reply... is it easy to sort out? Is it likley to fail altogether imminently??

Thanks

It would be best just spending your cash on a new pump, if its in the cellar and blocked it will overflow had one doing this only a few weeks ago cheers Jon.

---------- Post added 21-12-2014 at 10:30 ----------

I'm considering getting rid off all the old radiators in the house and replacing them with Therma Skirt. Could anyone tell me if it's any good and how much does it cost? Many thanks!

Upto you but i would spend your cash on nice new radiators and have the system flushed at same time. Visited a property in crookes that has the skirt heat system and i was not impressed, the heat was never enough for the customer. When you get to the cost, new radiators would probably be cheaper than routing all the pipework and the labour and time spent but this is only my opinion cheers Jon.

[/color]

Upto you but i would spend your cash on nice new radiators and have the system flushed at same time. Visited a property in crookes that has the skirt heat system and i was not impressed, the heat was never enough for the customer. When you get to the cost, new radiators would probably be cheaper than routing all the pipework and the labour and time spent but this is only my opinion cheers Jon.

Noted with thanks! I might give you a ring for a quote once we've decided what to do with the radiators.

[/color]

Noted with thanks! I might give you a ring for a quote once we've decided what to do with the radiators.

Thats fine happy to quote and give you any advice i can to help cheers Jon.