Boiler/Heating Megathread - Advice & Recommendations, No Jobs/Quotes/Advertising

Who would be the best company to go with for a free replacement boiler via the ECO scheme any advice would be great.

Many do install WB, though not a fan myself. Just be aware that ALMOST all installers fitting are subbies.......they are not given adequate time to do a ''thorough'' install which includes flushing the system adequately. These boilers may be fitted with a magnetic filter BUT this will become saturated if the system is not cleansed adequately. If you have a boiler fitted via this scheme then I advise becoming 'hands-on' at regularly checking/cleaning the filter, and dosing the system annually with inhibitor to ensure the small print in the warranty does not catch you out (an annual boiler service alone will not validate long warranties !!!). I speak from experience regarding the 'rushed' installs........I have just knocked back a contract as I was not comfortable fitting new boilers in this way

Many do install WB, though not a fan myself. Just be aware that ALMOST all installers fitting are subbies.......they are not given adequate time to do a ''thorough'' install which includes flushing the system adequately. These boilers may be fitted with a magnetic filter BUT this will become saturated if the system is not cleansed adequately. If you have a boiler fitted via this scheme then I advise becoming 'hands-on' at regularly checking/cleaning the filter, and dosing the system annually with inhibitor to ensure the small print in the warranty does not catch you out (an annual boiler service alone will not validate long warranties !!!). I speak from experience regarding the 'rushed' installs........I have just knocked back a contract as I was not comfortable fitting new boilers in this way

Agree completely with the above statement we have tried and tried to continue eco work but there are too many middle men taking a cut (not even paying the small plumbing companies at times) thus allowing the actual plumbing company not enough funds to actually fit the boiler correctly. So again like the old warm front scheme which it replaced, now whats happening is poorer members of society are getting poor quality low guarantee boilers fitted, most of which will break down within 5 years. The case tends to be that the cheaper the boiler the more expensive the replacement parts. So Cameron,Clegg and Milliband how will these poorer members of society pay £300 repair bills? It surely would have made more sense to use one of the boilers that have a 10 year warrantee so the low income persons only had to pay for a £50 yearly service? The scheme cost could also be cut severly by cutting the middle men out and streamlining the paperwork!

That would be great of you could also seems a very quick turnaround.

Had 2 fitters here yesterday from 8am till 7pm and did a grand job. As clean and tidy as it's possible to be in the circumstances - put covers down everywhere and tidied up after.

The electrician is here now connecting the boiler up properly and installing the clock.

Very impressed I have to say

Had 2 fitters here yesterday from 8am till 7pm and did a grand job. As clean and tidy as it's possible to be in the circumstances - put covers down everywhere and tidied up after.

The electrician is here now connecting the boiler up properly and installing the clock.

Very impressed I have to say

Glad you impressed and hope it all goes well.

However, I have never (even with help) done a combi swop in just one day. A day and a half yes as takes me half a day to powerflush. Could do it in day and be neat and tidy but just wouldn't.

I still feel that most of the Eco installs are having to become fit and forget jobs as there is no real profit margin in the install once those at the top and middle have taken their cut. Installers insisted that the grants came direct to us. That way customers would get a decent install, a decent boiler with a min 5yr warranty. But hey why would govt listen to those in the know......

Edited by Complete-Heat

Glad you impressed and hope it all goes well.

However, I have never (even with help) done a combi swop in just one day. A day and a half yes as takes me half a day to powerflush. Could do it in day and be neat and tidy but just wouldn't.

I still feel that most of the Eco installs are having to become fit and forget jobs as there is no real profit margin in the install once those at the top and middle have taken their cut. Installers insisted that the grants came direct to us. That way customers would get a decent install, a decent boiler with a min 5yr warranty. But hey why would govt listen to those in the know......

It was a conventional boiler out and a condensing combi in. Does that improve your opinion of the 24 man hours it took (including 2 hours for the sparky)? Or is that more work as they are removing the old tank etc. Interested in your opinion. Thanks

It was a conventional boiler out and a condensing combi in. Does that improve your opinion of the 24 man hours it took (including 2 hours for the sparky)? Or is that more work as they are removing the old tank etc. Interested in your opinion. Thanks

It IS possible to do a conversion in a day with two men, like the job you have had done.....BG and N-power gave us these sorts of times BUT...you can not do a thorough, quality install and a proper flush in this time, it is simply impossible. Have to agree with Andy (Complete-heat), we can all fit a boiler within these tight time constraint but it will never be done to the same standard as a private install where you can take your time. Johnny Ball wanted me to do a straight swap, gas up grade, minor pipe alteration and flush the system (plus complete their endless forms)....all in a day. It can be done......but not to a standard I would be comfortable with. Some of these installs are going to give BIG warranty issues in the next couple of years !!

Hi, I know its not right section to post a classified but its the best thread for potential buyer. I have an anton sprint evo 1 multifunction flue gas analyser for sale. Only used once. works perfectly. still calibrated. only selling due to having been provided with one by employer. £200

Hi, I know its not right section to post a classified but its the best thread for potential buyer. I have an anton sprint evo 1 multifunction flue gas analyser for sale. Only used once. works perfectly. still calibrated. only selling due to having been provided with one by employer. £200

Gutted a bought a new one for £500 last month !

Hi, had supply disconnected today (Thursday) and came home to a letter from national grid saying supply not reconnected due to flue being too close to window and not caged. Could somebody come out and look at this please hopefully today if possible. I'm in woodhouse

Cheers

Mark

Sorted now thanks to Micky ET

Edited by sheflad

Hi

My radiators all seem to operate at different temps, some are really hot to touch where as most are what I would say are warm all over and some are only warm at the top and cold at the bottom.

Googling around seems it could be my systems needs a power flush, does anyone have a rough idea of the cost for a power flush and install of a magnetic catcher thingymibob? My house has 13 radiators if that helps and we are in Bramley Rotherham.

right can any one help me im wanting to get a ruff price on how much it would cost to have central heating fitted from scratch ,radiators bolier etc has any one had this done? and how much did it cost ? we don't have central heating at the minute at all we only have 3 gas heaters on the walls, so I wanting a from scratch price not a replacement price ! thanks kirsti

Hi

My radiators all seem to operate at different temps, some are really hot to touch where as most are what I would say are warm all over and some are only warm at the top and cold at the bottom.

Googling around seems it could be my systems needs a power flush, does anyone have a rough idea of the cost for a power flush and install of a magnetic catcher thingymibob? My house has 13 radiators if that helps and we are in Bramley Rotherham.

Hi we carry out power flushing but may be best to test your system first to confirm that this is needed. Happy to give you a price cheers Jon at

JB Heating Services.

---------- Post added 02-02-2014 at 18:38 ----------

right can any one help me im wanting to get a ruff price on how much it would cost to have central heating fitted from scratch ,radiators bolier etc has any one had this done? and how much did it cost ? we don't have central heating at the minute at all we only have 3 gas heaters on the walls, so I wanting a from scratch price not a replacement price ! thanks kirsti

Hi happy to visit and give you a quote, you could be looking at anything price wise depends on what materials are wanted and needed plus what brands are used. Would need to calculate each room for heat requirements and check location where the boiler is to be installed and radiators. There are lots of factors that can change the price so best to take people up on there offer of free quotes cheers Jon at JB Heating Services.