Boiler/Heating Megathread - Advice & Recommendations, No Jobs/Quotes/Advertising

Hi Andy,

Thank You for the response.

F Codes are F28 & F54, consistently after several restarts.

If I try the pressure drop and refill and it does effect a temp fix will Vaillant be able to trace the fault as the boiler glitched before Christmas but by the time the Engineer arrived it had righted itself and he was unable to diagnose it because it was apparently working normally.

I think I'd rather have a cold night and leave the boiler in the fault condition if that were the case again.

Once again,

many thanks! Paul

All I would say is make sure you note all the codes the boiler has thrown up as this will help their engineer should it start working again !

weve just moved into a new house and are having problems with our heating. I dont think the thermostat on either the boiler or in the hallway are working.

For example when its on just hot water and we turn the dial for higher or lower heat on the boiler a number on the display goes up and down, but on the heating when we use the dial it just stays at 74?

Also I have tried putting the heating onto 'auto' and it just never ever goes off , I have tried and the thermostat always clicks at around 17 degrees no matter what temp the room is and it doesnt in any way control the heating!

having just moved were a bit skint and worried to get someone out as we have no idea how much this will cost...

We also need someone to have a look at the gas hob as only 2 burners are producing gas and the gas fire as the previous owner have taken to control knob off and im worried this was for a reason!

Is anyone on here a gas safe engineer who can give us an idea of how much all this will cost, or just how much for the thermostat as thats the most pressing issue at the moment!

Thanks!

weve just moved into a new house and are having problems with our heating. I dont think the thermostat on either the boiler or in the hallway are working.

For example when its on just hot water and we turn the dial for higher or lower heat on the boiler a number on the display goes up and down, but on the heating when we use the dial it just stays at 74?

Also I have tried putting the heating onto 'auto' and it just never ever goes off , I have tried and the thermostat always clicks at around 17 degrees no matter what temp the room is and it doesnt in any way control the heating!

having just moved were a bit skint and worried to get someone out as we have no idea how much this will cost...

We also need someone to have a look at the gas hob as only 2 burners are producing gas and the gas fire as the previous owner have taken to control knob off and im worried this was for a reason!

Is anyone on here a gas safe engineer who can give us an idea of how much all this will cost, or just how much for the thermostat as thats the most pressing issue at the moment!

Thanks!

Hi, from the sounds of it the problem with your heating is one of the motorised valves is stuck in the on position. With regards to the hob this could be some dirt stuck in the burners and a good clean could resolve this problem. I would recommend not using the gas fire until you have had it serviced and safety checked. We know all too well the expenses of moving house ourselves, we would be happy to provide a free quote for the works required.

Hi, from the sounds of it the problem with your heating is one of the motorised valves is stuck in the on position. With regards to the hob this could be some dirt stuck in the burners and a good clean could resolve this problem. I would recommend not using the gas fire until you have had it serviced and safety checked. We know all too well the expenses of moving house ourselves, we would be happy to provide a free quote for the works required.

Could be faulty thermostat as even broken ones can still "click". I,m assuming from reading that this is a combi boiler. The temp dial on some combis will stay fixed at 70, or urs at 74 when the heating is being controlled externally by a thermostat. Would check the stat first. Agree with Micky about all the rest.

Andy

a free quote would be fantastic thank you! are you available at the weekend, were in all saturday and sunday, its manor park s2 near the coop,x

Evenings are better as I have a family so like to spend the weekend with them Pm me !

Thanks!

Hi we would be happy to attend and sort any issues out for you, price would be at our hourly rate plus parts if any are required cheers Jon at

JB Heating Services.

Who would be the best company to go with for a free replacement boiler via the ECO scheme any advice would be great.

Who would be the best company to go with for a free replacement boiler via the ECO scheme any advice would be great.

I had a chap from Help-Link visit us on Weds to see if we qualify and they are installing next Tuesday which is very quick

What's interesting is that if you don't quite qualify (eg our house was too new and efficient to pass all the criteria) then they will allow you to pay the difference which in our case is £300. Another company turned us down for the same reason and didn't have the flexibility to part charge for the job

Obviously next Tuesday will tell us how good an install job they do. Happy to report back then if you are interested

That would be great of you could also seems a very quick turnaround.