Boiler/Heating Megathread - Advice & Recommendations, No Jobs/Quotes/Advertising

Hi there,

We bought a house a few months ago and have just started having a problem with our Stelrad Ideal RS30 boiler, the pilot light went out and although I initially managed to get it re-lit it only stayed lit for an hour or 2 before going out again and now refuses to stay lit at all although it does still ignite.

Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts on what it might be?

Thanks for the help :)

Yes change thermocouple and a good service, the heat exchangers on those are slightly different to other and seem to be prone to soot up more.

Just fitted two of the hive ones for a couple of clients who have second homes, they use their iphone to control them, must say I was quite impressed may get one myself, the cost is off putting though £199:gag:

I'm sure salus do one which is cheaper but some people find their thermostats hard to programme.

Thanks for the advice guys, just one more question, how much would I be looking at, roughly, to replace the thermocouple and give it a service? With the age of the boiler (from what I found on google it was around in the early 90's) would it be more beneficial and cost effective to replace it with a new heating system?

thanks again :)

Mod Note

Iceheart, for quotes, please place an advert in the Jobs section within the classified section on here. thanks.

Thanks for the advice guys, just one more question, how much would I be looking at, roughly, to replace the thermocouple and give it a service? With the age of the boiler (from what I found on google it was around in the early 90's) would it be more beneficial and cost effective to replace it with a new heating system?

thanks again :)

Unless you are looking at a major repair or have very high gas bills then you do not NEED a replacement boiler. A new boiler will be significantly more economical, coupled with modern controls you could save hundreds on gas each year, plus lots of new boilers come with very long warranties these days (up to 10yrs) so you can have greater peace of mind. It is completely up to the individual customer......most boilers will last and be repairable....you have to weigh up the cost of annual repairs + extra gas use + inconvenience of break-down...against the cost of a new boiler. Happy to service boiler and offer further advice regarding system, cheers, Steve

Mod Note

Iceheart, for quotes, please place an advert in the Jobs section within the classified section on here. thanks.

I don't see the problem with what I posted, I wasn't asking for the job doing nor asking, the what turned out to be numerous people who were kind enough to reply, for quotes.

As I have no idea how much the parts suggested would cost or how much work replacing it would involved I was merely asking for a rough idea of cost to enable me to weigh up whether it would be more beneficial for me to replace the whole system

Corgigasman - Thanks again for the response, will PM you shortly :)

my boiler pressure only seems to be lasting a day i can not see any signs of leaking anywhere from upstairs radiators etc. i cannot get access to get under living room floor to see if there are leaks there. any ideas to whet could be going wrong ? thanks

my boiler pressure only seems to be lasting a day i can not see any signs of leaking anywhere from upstairs radiators etc. i cannot get access to get under living room floor to see if there are leaks there. any ideas to whet could be going wrong ? thanks

Obviously a combi or system boiler then. If you require to top up pressure then it is obviously losing pressure somewhere. Easy first check.....b4 calling an engineer.....observe system pressure....switch on heating.....watch pressure dial and external vent pipe (piece of copper pipe sticking through wall outside near boiler....effectively an over-flow pipe), check if pressure rises rapidly (above 3bar in 10 mins) and external pipe discharges/drips water. Happy to complete simple diagnostics and offer solution and wrtten quote if required, cheers, Steve

Anyone got any clues to a quick fix. We currently have no heating or hot water. Boiler is a Vaillant Ecotec 831, 9 months old.

Condensate pipe is routed inside so not frozen. Live monitor shows ignition cycle stopping at S.98 "Self-test pre/return Temp Sensor"

Vaillant can't get to us until tomorrow so any obvious checks / tips much appreciated.

Thanks

Anyone got any clues to a quick fix. We currently have no heating or hot water. Boiler is a Vaillant Ecotec 831, 9 months old.

Condensate pipe is routed inside so not frozen. Live monitor shows ignition cycle stopping at S.98 "Self-test pre/return Temp Sensor"

Vaillant can't get to us until tomorrow so any obvious checks / tips much appreciated.

Thanks

live monitoring is too sensitive and would need to be standing in front of boiler to see where it faults out.

S.98 is often a result of the boiler not registering a pressure rise in the heating side or not registering the flow of hot water (almost the same as S.97). As you say you do not have heating I would say its prob the pressure sensor. and this sensor also sends an impulse to the pcb for the hot water side. the other reason could be faulty pump but I doubt it in a fairly new 831.

run the boiler again and see what the fault code is. it will be a "F" code. u may get F.75. if this comes up then new pressure sensor, easy 15min job.

any other F code let us know.

tip that may help if this is reason. drain some water from heating side, open a rad bleed nipple and drain off some water. let boiler pressure drop to 0.5 bar. then blast in some fresh via the valves underneath back to 1 bar. this can often clean out the crud that is sitting on the sensor. only a temp fix though.

andy

Hi Andy,

Thank You for the response.

F Codes are F28 & F54, consistently after several restarts.

If I try the pressure drop and refill and it does effect a temp fix will Vaillant be able to trace the fault as the boiler glitched before Christmas but by the time the Engineer arrived it had righted itself and he was unable to diagnose it because it was apparently working normally.

I think I'd rather have a cold night and leave the boiler in the fault condition if that were the case again.

Once again,

many thanks! Paul

Ahh OK then little easier to pinpoint with the F codes. then a F28 and F54 points to a problem with gas pressure/ignition. know u say condensate is inside but Are u sure condensate is not blocked with ice where it exits . If it's outside pour some hot water over the pipe. Also some meter regulators can freeze and lock up especially if your gas meter is outside. Try some hot water on that as we'll. if no joy then will need vaillant to check inside boiler. When he gets there I bet he does the first two of my suggestions first....before delving into the boiler. Common f28 is thrown up when boiler needs a new igniter. Wen you try and fire the boiler can you see sparking through the little viewing window. Vaillant are fantastic boilers and I used to be one of their service engineers. Only a few things generally go wrong with them and standing in front they are a doddle to fault find and repair.

Andy

Edited by Complete-Heat