Boiler/Heating Megathread - Advice & Recommendations, No Jobs/Quotes/Advertising

Surely this doesn't need a gas fitter to answer this.....put the setting on to suit your desired temperature. If you want it warmer turn it up, too hot then turn it down. Also....look into getting the windows replaced because that will be wasting lots of money in lost heat every year.

British gas have been Googled, and all I been shown are a truckload of pictures.

the SIMPLE question is, what is the best boiler setting for central heating a 3 bed semi Bearing in mind that the new double glazing is only suitable for Eskimos

Most people tend to go for around 21/20 degrees Celsius, Rather than Bg try the supplier of the controls website I.e danfoss,drayton or honeywell .

Boilers-avoiding bad models from good makes.

I understand that the new Ideal boilers are quite good now compared to the models of two years ago. Do the engineers on here know which are the new models of Ideal?

Also, any guidance on specific models of Potterton and Vailient would be helpful.

Thanks

I understand that the new Ideal boilers are quite good now compared to the models of two years ago. Do the engineers on here know which are the new models of Ideal?

Also, any guidance on specific models of Potterton and Vailient would be helpful.

Thanks

The new Ideals (Logic/Logic+) have been around for about three years now and are excellent with long warranties (logic + currently offering 7yrs). Pottertons are just the lesser range from Baxi (stick with duo-tec, 7yr and platinum 10yr warranty). Base model Vaillant (combi) is Ecotec pro, only comes with standard one yr warranty, Ecotec plus and exclusive models are better and have longer warranties but are a little expensive. Hope this helps

Thanks

We fit all Baxi duotec by choice 7 year warrantee reasonable price, excellent back up service. We also fit worcester,valiant and ideal on various contracts boiler are all okay but find there back up service is not as good as baxi's is.

Im just wondering if anyone can give me a bit of advice. For the past 2 months or so we have had really low hot water pressure to all taps but cold seems to be normal. Our boiler is quite old but had a service last year and was deemed in good working order. The boiler itself doesnt seem to have a visible pressure gauge. It is an old tank system with cold tank in the loft and copper tank on the 1st floor. Could anyone help with what the problem may be? Thankyou in advance for any replies

The boiler won't affect the pressure in the system you describe. You have a gravity fed system and that's all that powers the hot water pressure. Have you checked that the header tank in the loft is filling correctly? If it is then maybe there's a blockage building up somewhere, maybe at an isolating tap near the cylinder.

The new Ideals (Logic/Logic+) have been around for about three years now and are excellent with long warranties (logic + currently offering 7yrs). Pottertons are just the lesser range from Baxi (stick with duo-tec, 7yr and platinum 10yr warranty). Base model Vaillant (combi) is Ecotec pro, only comes with standard one yr warranty, Ecotec plus and exclusive models are better and have longer warranties but are a little expensive. Hope this helps

I have an Ideal Logic + Combi-boiler which Steve (Corgigasman) fitted for me over a year ago along with a Fernox TFi sludge filter and associated works its a fantastic boiler and looks stylish as well.

we've just gone through the same problem, we had the same set up as the o/p the pressure was so bad, we had everything ripped out and replaced with a new baxi combi boiler which cost £2,000 but now we have peace of mind for the next few years as it came with a 7 year warranty.

The boiler won't affect the pressure in the system you describe. You have a gravity fed system and that's all that powers the hot water pressure. Have you checked that the header tank in the loft is filling correctly? If it is then maybe there's a blockage building up somewhere, maybe at an isolating tap near the cylinder.

Yes header tank low or not filling fast enough./ Check gate valve above hot cylinder is fully open. put your hand inside header tank make sure out let is clear. Gate valves are if not fully open can gather silt give it a tap with your shoe.

Edited by spider1

Yes, this is the type of info I need. Thanks for the replies-all good.

Just one question Corgigasman-when you say that the platinum 10 year warranty is available on the Baxi (as well as the 7 year), do you mean that to get the 10 year deal you have to pay extra but the 7 year deal is inclusive?

Thanks

The 7 year deal on the duo-tec and 10 years on the platinum is open to members of baxi's approved installer scheme. the boilers are exactly the same it is just the name,warranty and price thats difference the boiler and flue on the duotec 28 is about £730 ex vat and platinum 28 he is about £850 ex vat so you chose whether you want the extra warranty, the only things to note are the appliances must be serviced every 12 months and the system flushed correctly. We are on baxi's website through find an installer and because we fit so many are on the top level of their membership so get the best level of after care so if you require a quote please call

Thanks

Mike

Edited by Micky ET