Boiler/Heating Megathread - Advice & Recommendations, No Jobs/Quotes/Advertising

Might be Jon - this is the boiler that had a possible divertor valve prob that seemed to go away (either hot water but no heating or heating and no water in Feb):)

Hi sounds a pain in the backside lol if your running the hot tap and the radiators are getting hot then it must be a sticking diverter i would think, the wax diverter i think on yours.

Hi sounds a pain in the backside lol if your running the hot tap and the radiators are getting hot then it must be a sticking diverter i would think, the wax diverter i think on yours.

Rod and spindle on the 831. Tends to disengage leaving the bung at midpoint so hot water passing to the rads. Can be fixed but so quick to replace DV valve and u will get parts warranty.

Andy

---------- Post added 11-05-2013 at 10:40 ----------

Thanks for getting back (and Mikey ET)

The valves are Drayton and both are fairly new- in fact , we had Dan at City Wide put them in.

It could be the valve as now and again if I push the top switch back/fourth it sometimes turns off the pump running.

From what I recall, replaced whole valve.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/drayton-mid-position-valve-actuator/40818?kpid=40818&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%20Listing%20Ads-_-Sales%20Tracking-_-sales%20tracking%20url

So does appear to be a sticking microswitch. Like I said sludge so could do with a flush.

Andy

Hi all,

Thought i'd try and get some advice before calling the BG Engineers (as our boiler is covered).

We have a 3 storey house, shower downstairs, bathroom upstairs.

When we have a shower, run a bath, the hot water turns cold after 5 mins. If i listen to the boiler, the flame tries to fire once the taps/shower is turned off, but then the flame goes out when turning the taps back on. It's not so much of a problem in the kitchen, where the boiler is located.

The make/model is a Worcester 28i and is about 10 years old.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

sounds like the diverter is waring, to be honest I personally would not worry about calling them out you pay a small fortune for boiler cover use it they ll think no better or worse of you.

This is very nice of them assuming I qualify. Has anyone else come across this scheme?

yes assuming you qualify that is, my neighbour as just had one fitted for free,he is a pensioner,

---------- Post added 05-08-2013 at 19:18 ----------

Or if you are 60 or over I forgot that one

so you need

working tax credits and one of those below on list

if you dont have one of the following dont you get one.

Working tax credit (income less than £15860)

Job seekers allowance

Income support

Income related employment and support

and one of the following

Parental responsibility for a child under 16 or up to 20 if they are in full time education

Disabled child premium

Disability premium, sever disability premium

Pension premium, higher or enhanced

Yes. Information can be found in the boiler megathread, that already exists in property and housing

A friend of mine in Sheffield has just had a free Vaillant boiler installed by Valley Services Ltd, a local company...She was very impressed with both the boiler and the guys who fitted it :-)

Hi I own valley services

We are fitting around 100 free boilers a week in Yorkshire

There are other company's fitting free boiler but we chose to fit vaillant not other cheap boiler just for profit

We want to be the best

So what if its free you still should be given the best quality

I am here to help and advise

This is very nice of them assuming I qualify. Has anyone else come across this scheme?

I've had two calls of late, there's a company called 20-50 or something that installs them over here, I've read their reviews and they're cr*p to the extent of not fitting the pipework correctly leading to flooding houses however it depends on who you get.

---------- Post added 11-08-2013 at 20:44 ----------

Hi I own valley services

We are fitting around 100 free boilers a week in Yorkshire

There are other company's fitting free boiler but we chose to fit vaillant not other cheap boiler just for profit

We want to be the best

So what if its free you still should be given the best quality

I am here to help and advise

Do you have to have a combi boiler fitted as we have a standard boiler which I prefer?

No we will survey your home and advise you

Thanks

---------- Post added 11-08-2013 at 19:59 ----------

Also there are lead company's / call centers calling advising of free boilers so they can sell the lead on

Make sure by asking who will fit the boiler and what boiler they are fitting

You can then go to sites like which ?? And make sure the are the best