Boiler/Heating Megathread - Advice & Recommendations, No Jobs/Quotes/Advertising

Mine is a junior, it was fitted in 2007. I think I'll get someone out to service it and have a look. Thanks both.

Ask Steve (corgi gasman), Jon (jb heating), or another of the regulars on here. As said along with service replacing the thermistor and cleaning out the plate to plate improves the hot water temp no end.

Glad to help

Andy

Hi,

I have a saunier duval f24e boiler (installed April 2006), which has started to display a high pressure warning (the display will flash past 2.5 bar) and venting water from the pressure relief value (via the outside over flow - not the condensate pipe). It's only bee happening since Friday.

Then, once the boiler has stopped for a while, the pressure drops as it cools and slips below the minimum cutoff point (and therefore stops working till it s filled via the loop).

Apart from this operation is fine, central heating and hot water work

Does this sound like the expansion vessel needs recharging/replacing or something more sinister?

It sounds like you say vessel may require testing/recharging or replacing or it could

be a blocked supply pipe to the vessel.

If you require any help let us know cheers jon at JB Heating Services.

It sounds like you say vessel may require testing/recharging or replacing or it could be a blocked supply pipe to the vessel.

If you require any help let us know cheers jon at JB Heating Services.

Thanks Jon - ill give you a bell on Monday to see when you are free (unless it's ok to ring over the weekend to arrange a date?)

Thats fine feel free to call when ever you like phones always on even

at weekends cheers jon at JB Heating Services.

Hi,

I have a saunier duval f24e boiler (installed April 2006), which has started to display a high pressure warning (the display will flash past 2.5 bar) and venting water from the pressure relief value (via the outside over flow - not the condensate pipe). It's only bee happening since Friday.

Then, once the boiler has stopped for a while, the pressure drops as it cools and slips below the minimum cutoff point (and therefore stops working till it s filled via the loop).

Apart from this operation is fine, central heating and hot water work

Does this sound like the expansion vessel needs recharging/replacing or something more sinister?

Almost certainly blocked pipe connecting expansion vessel, it is a braided hose that blocks very easily, seen loads of these on S/D and similar design Glow-worm. Difficult to access so external generic expansion vessel usually simplest fix :)

Agree with Steve. Blocked pipe as expn vessel on a S/D is often ok. Not difficult to strip down and clean but you spend ages afterwards trying to sort out ALL the leaks so have to go round and replace all the o rings that get disturbed!!!. So easier and cheaper to add cheap external vessel

Andy

Can even get a kit now for external vessel where no drain down is required !

I d also expect to replace the prv valve that it attached to the pipe that has been leaking as they generally don't re seal !

We've had this problem twice in a week, but we've got Severn Trent on our rd, the waters been turned off twice, could this have caused our disruption?

We've had this problem twice in a week, but we've got Severn Trent on our rd, the waters been turned off twice, could this have caused our disruption?

'This problem' ? Do you mean same problem as post above? Not usually associated with water works (pressure drop on boiler/PRV discharging), but during work on mains often debris is pulled into your cold supply as it is reinstated and this can cause problems to anything that uses the cold supply, especially combi-boilers. Try to run water through primary tap (kitchen sink normally) when water is switched back on, to flush out any debris first, then run bathroom taps etc before using hot water on combi/any shower/washing machine/other appliance connected to mains supply, this way you will minimise risk of debris being drawn into any water appliances. may need to check/clean any filters too. Offer water company chance to do this first for free, if no joy then get someone else to do the work and try to pass the bill on to water company for this remedial work, pretty sure they will help (or pay) but get proper legal advice first, I was successful before even being a plumber/gas engineer when YW ruined a wash-load with discoloured water, they settled my claim. Hope this helps :)

I could be if something has pinholed/rotted plate to plate heat exchanger but highly unlikely . also if new pressure is higher could cause filling loop to pass ?

Good Luck