Boiler/Heating Megathread - Advice & Recommendations, No Jobs/Quotes/Advertising

always get more than 1 quote

you said 7 new rads how big is your bungalow

---------- Post added 14-02-2013 at 21:37 ----------

litote,s, did you know you could just have your boiler change and keep your old tanks etc

be cheaper that way

litote,s, did you know you could just have your boiler change and keep your old tanks etc

be cheaper that way

The retention of an old system can compromise a new boiler which can become damaged by the ingress of foul liquids,damage to the heat exchange,and so on.

it depends on how old the ops sytem is,if its ancient maybe,but if its been partly mordernised dont see a problem

---------- Post added 14-02-2013 at 21:43 ----------

some wont give you the option and just stick you a combi in

Thanks Jon, I think I spoke to you this morning, but did a bit more ringing around as I'm not very popular in our house after declaring the boiler must not be used and next week wouldn't have made me any more popular!

I've arranged for Corgigasman to come out tomorrow morning.

Ok no problem sorry i could not get this week for you, steve will sort you out hes a good guy from here cheers jon.

mr bradley

your expertise is needed above

Can a professional comment on this quotation - am I getting overcharged?

This is for a boiler replacement in a bungalow in Lancashire...

Removal of exiting heating and hot water tank

Supply and fit a new Potterton Titanium 28km condensing combi with 5year warranty

Supply and fit 7 new rads with associated pipework

repipe existing hot water system

Supply and fit new magna clean filter and auto bypass

Install room thermostat

All wiring and controls and cleaners and ihibitors

£4500

Hi it sounds a little on the high side to me but ive not seen the job

and to be honest i always think people can quote any price there is no

right or wrong.

If you have good feedback about the company then see if you can

get some knocked off in a deal im sure they will help if its going to win them the job.

Cheers jon at JB Heating.

be cheaper that way

Whole system must be nearly 25 years old.

I am going for another quotation anway - thanks all who have commented.

Can a professional comment on this quotation - am I getting overcharged?

This is for a boiler replacement in a bungalow in Lancashire...

Removal of exiting heating and hot water tank

Supply and fit a new Potterton Titanium 28km condensing combi with 5year warranty

Supply and fit 7 new rads with associated pipework

repipe existing hot water system

Supply and fit new magna clean filter and auto bypass

Install room thermostat

All wiring and controls and cleaners and ihibitors

£4500

Price sounds slightly high as there is nothing wrong with using existing heating pipes and adapting appropriately (unless it is micro-bore or a one pipe system and therefore ideally requires full new pipe runs). Again, depends on specifics of job (rad sizes, gas run, vertical flue? stand-off kit etc etc) so not a million miles out.........take comfort in the fact that the BiG companies charge this amount just to install a boiler alone

Hi all.

I just wanted to ask if it is normal to have to have the hot tap hardly on when running a bath to get it hot enough? We have a worcester greenstar boiler and it takes ages to fill a bath in winter. It works normally for the kitchen tap. We have a downstairs bathroom and the bathroom is next to the kitchen where the boiler is.

Hi all.

I just wanted to ask if it is normal to have to have the hot tap hardly on when running a bath to get it hot enough? We have a worcester greenstar boiler and it takes ages to fill a bath in winter. It works normally for the kitchen tap. We have a downstairs bathroom and the bathroom is next to the kitchen where the boiler is.

A combi can only adequately heat a certain flow of water. A 24kw boiler, for instance, will only heat around 9.5l/min to an adequate heat and this was a problem with early combi's, but as people get used to them and as outputs rise then the problem is not so much of an issue. The older WB had no temperature adjustment on the boiler front and was factory set at around 55 degrees, more modern boilers tend to have a control for HW so you can set the temp. higher (up to around 65 degrees). During cold periods the incoming mains supply (cold) is quite chilled therefore the boiler needs to work harder to get the water hot and you WILL need to either turn up HW temp dial or run a tap slower.....bath taps open full often run faster than most combi's can cope with and therefore will often create this problem. You may need to check the boiler is getting adequate gas (via engineer) and that filters are clear and there is no excessive scaling. Hope this helps :)

Steve is right. When they first came out a lot of installers fitted the green star boilers, especially the juniors. A decent boiler for a decent price. However, they don't have a high flow rate and the hot water temp is factory set at 55. Most have flow rate of 11 litres per min which is fine for basin/sink taps. On full a bath needs about 15 litres per min and in winter boiler works harder to hit hits temperature rise. As Steve said new combis now take this into consideration and allow up to 65 degree.

Over time scale can affect temp performance. May see improvement if u swop the hot water thermistor and descale the plate to plate

Andy

Steve is right. When they first came out a lot of installers fitted the green star boilers, especially the juniors. A decent boiler for a decent price. However, they don't have a high flow rate and the hot water temp is factory set at 55. Most have flow rate of 11 litres per min which is fine for basin/sink taps. On full a bath needs about 15 litres per min and in winter boiler works harder to hit hits temperature rise. As Steve said new combis now take this into consideration and allow up to 65 degree.

Over time scale can affect temp performance. May see improvement if u swop the hot water thermistor and descale the plate to plate

Andy

Mine is a junior, it was fitted in 2007. I think I'll get someone out to service it and have a look. Thanks both.