Boiler/Heating Megathread - Advice & Recommendations, No Jobs/Quotes/Advertising

One for the engineers on here:..

In conjunction with a combination boiler what is a "shift load storage tank" and its primary purpose?

The question is in relation to a Vaillant ecoTEC plus 937

Thanks in advance lads.

Its a storage vessel of hot water for use in buildings with high hot water demand such as large houses with a large family or commercial premises. It stores 15L of water

Hope this helps

Thank you

Scott

One for the engineers on here:..

In conjunction with a combination boiler what is a "shift load storage tank" and its primary purpose?

The question is in relation to a Vaillant ecoTEC plus 937

Thanks in advance lads.

As above, plus......output of 20l/min (blended) for a short period then back to combi output (about15l/min). Need a good solid wall as these units are heavy and deep (lots of leverage on mounting bracket!!). basically high flow rate of hot water due to tank attached, good idea, expensive boiler though, cheers, Steve

We've not long since had a combi boiler installed, ok but just one thing I can't get my head around, while it's been cold I've set it for 22, it gets to this temp then the heat goes out of the room and it stays cool for ages, we end up sat in a cold room, so then we have to turn it up?

I know they are supposed to save money, but not to the extent of us being cold.

We had a back boiler taken out to have this fitted, it was old, but we were never cold..

Is it that we need to keep turning it up, or are we doing something wrong?

We've not long since had a combi boiler installed, ok but just one thing I can't get my head around, while it's been cold I've set it for 22, it gets to this temp then the heat goes out of the room and it stays cool for ages, we end up sat in a cold room, so then we have to turn it up?

We had a back boiler taken out to have this fitted, it was old, but we were never cold..

a couple of suggestions. 1 read the information book that you should have. 2 contact your installer for advice.

does it have stats on the radiators as well

does it have stats on the radiators as well

Yes, we thought of perhaps turning them really down in the rooms not in use..:)

We have had the same problem since we had a combi boiler installed. The radiators go off before they get up to temperature. We have had the installers back twice now. The first time they flushed the radiators,only 10 months old, and left. The second time the installer said,"it,s not the radiators it must be the boiler,I will send the boiler repair man out". The boiler bloke came and he said,"it's not the boiler", now if we ring up they ignore us.

couple of suggestions, although would be helpful to know make/model combi.

on new combis is the ability to set both the temp of the heating and the temp of the hot water. I usually set the hot water to 60degs, but the heating side of the combi needs to be on full. on condensers that is usually set for 70-75 which keeps combi in condensing mode for as long as possible. Make sure its not been set any lower as the boiler will shut down no matter what temp you set the wall thermostat.

second is with the thermostat itself. I have been to some real shoddy installs where the wall stat is sitting just above a radiator or in the main lounge.ideal place is in the hallway.

The room-stat only measures the tempewrature of room it is in. If that room reaches 22 (as set), then the heating will go off, and stay off, until temperature in room with stat drops by a couple of degrees.....therefore it is working correctly. However, a stat should be sited in a ''cool zone'' ie a room that tends to be cool or a hallway (typically heat rises up the stairs and so stat does not stay too warm too long). Is the stat sited in an enclosed/warm area or above a radiator ? Every house has different thermal properties, in the short term turn the stat up higher and use your TRV's to find comfort temperatures for individual rooms. If room containing stat seems to be excessively hot (should not be TRV in that room), then tweek down the rad valve slightly (turn clockwise to close). Feel free to ask for further advice, should be able to rectify without need for a paid visit, unless there are deeper issues, hopefully not :)

---------- Post added 07-01-2013 at 18:59 ----------

Lol, beat me to it Andy :-)

Hi

We've had a new boiler & magnatec fitted, end November, no problems re heat.

However the radiators have been bled about 3-4 times.

With the old system this was not really required at all over the last few years.

Any reasons please?

Hi

We've had a new boiler & magnatec fitted, end November, no problems re heat.

However the radiators have been bled about 3-4 times.

With the old system this was not really required at all over the last few years.

Any reasons please?

After a system is drained (inc. during an install) then slugs of air may be trapped and therefore some bleeding required as the air finds its way to radiators, however problem should not persist. Combi/sealed systems should only require bleeding once or twice a year....open-vent systems CAN draw air into the system and create the need to continually bleed radiators. Suggest a thorough check of ALL exposed pipework (particularly rad valves/any unions/magnetic filter) to locate any possible leak, in the first instance. Hope this helps, Steve

Tonight it's going to drop to -5 so they say - is it better to leave the heating on low all night to prevent freezing combi, set it to come on at intervals, or risk it till the morning to avoid pipe dripping and freezing???

Thanks Duckegg