Boiler/Heating Megathread - Advice & Recommendations, No Jobs/Quotes/Advertising

Hi Shanks,

Are you sure the pump is part of the boiler as I thought it was a heat only which would normally suggest the pump is external to the boiler? If it is check this is spinning as it could just be a failed pump rather then the boiler at fault??

Phones on if you need any advice.

Cheers

Lee

Cheers Lee - I think you might be right.

On the diagram of parts and fixes in the manual, there is no mention of the pump, which suggests it is not part of the boiler. I'll sound like an idiot now...but having found what I think is the pump, I can see no obvious way of checking whether it is spinning? It's slightly awkwardly placed behind the water tank, so perhaps the bit I should be able to see isn't visible?

Thanks a million for your swift response, much appreciated.

No problem, if you put you hand on it and feel if it is vibrating like it should be. If its not and its red hot the pump has jamed and may need replacing. If it has jammed you can always try the old trusty hammer to give it a few taps and see if it comes back to life?

You have water tanks in the loft. Don't you? Its not a pressured system with a pressure gauge anywhere??

Thanks again Lee. Yes, we've a header tank in the loft. My findings are:

a) I can't feel vibrations on the pump.

b) It's definitely very warm, but not red hot.

c) The hammer method sadly has failed!

So, in conclusion I think I've got a situation where the manual says based on the warning message, to contact Ideal. The warranty also says if the problem is not ultimately boiler related there are call out charges etc, which I should imagine are greater than calling out a local engineer in the first place..

Seems from what I've learnt under your instruction that it may well be the pump...the only boiler related issue would be if it was the water level sensor playing up. So my strategy will be to call a few local engineers this afternoon / tomorrow for a quote and timescale to come and do some diagnostics asap, as I suspect that's a better value option than Ideal coming out and then finding it is a non-boiler problem. And if that local engineer identifies that it is a boiler problem, I can pay for the time doing the diagnostics and call Ideal at that point.

Thanks for your help - happy new year!

Sounds like a plan although if it was me or one of the other Ideal installers on here we would be happy to go back and check it if we had installed it free of charge.

Have you thought about going back to the original installer and seeing if they would do the same? Any good installer would always go and check the boiler themselves before a call was put in to the manufacturer.

Mega busy tomorrow but never let anyone down so if your struggling happy to take a look.

Happy New Year to you too!!

Cheers Lee - I'll start with the original installer, and see how we go, and will certainly bear you in mind if we can't get anyone by thurs.

All the best,

Iain

Hi I am looking for a plumber for my boiler I would want a quote before any work went ahead. We have been having problems for a while, the heating works fine but our problem is with the water, we have had to put the heating to have hot water for a while but the last few week we have had only cool water either way heating on or off, sometimes we have water that is slightly walmer but these occations are getting less and less and cold showers are not fun, I have been told it maybe a problem with the vaulve. Please let me know if you would be free to have a quick look. Thanks

Can get one of our engineers look if want, that would be the plumbing and heating side of our firm

thanks

Just wanted to put on my thanks to Leeman on here for his advice.

Having given us a bit of advice on New Year's day, we've now got heating back. Had he not bothered to do so, I'd probably have been hit £100 in the pocket by the boiler warranty people for wasting their time, and been without heating for 2days longer than I was. He offered advice and offered to talk me through things on the phone without any hard sell to come and do any work, which was a very decent thing to do. Anyone who's had their heating conk out will appreciate how grateful you are for timely advice when it happens.

(It turned out to be the pump Lee - which our usual gas chap got going with the aide of a screwdriver and some gentle encouragement). Thanks to your advice I almost sounded knowledgeable when he came to diagnose it!

Thanks for the shout Shanks. Main thing is your sorted and not to much out of pocket!!

Leeman came to sort my boiler out after having problems with it for over a year (we kept making do because we were scared it would cost a fortune) I gave him a call in the morning and by tea time I had proper hot water for the first time in ages and it was at a good price, thanks Leeman, the dog did not enjoy her bath though :)

Thanks for the shout Kerryann. Glad you were happy with the job. Sorry for the dog though you did say she needed it so bad luck kidder. :-)

One for the engineers on here:..

In conjunction with a combination boiler what is a "shift load storage tank" and its primary purpose?

The question is in relation to a Vaillant ecoTEC plus 937

Thanks in advance lads.

Edited by ronthenekred