Davys in Sheffield - Paternoster Row

cal1943

Played football for Davys, probably in the late 60's, although I never worked there. Team colours were a sickly purple and yellow that were uncommon to say the least.  Can't remember any names from then but we were all in our late teens so all will be in their 70's now.

Also played for another but different Davys team at Davy United where I did work at the time.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
On 03/08/2018 at 15:36, fox0114 said:

I started work at Arthur Davy's Fargate bakery. The foreman was Jock(John) Grierson and the manager was Father Watson. Others there were Paul Abrahams, Malcolm Shemould, Neil, Cliff Johnson, Josie Fox(my wife), Sue(now Pugh), Audrew Vamplew, another Audrey, Kevin(Fingers)Brown, Mervin Jones, John Lindley, Desmond Russell, Glen and a later manager came up from the factory - Brian Barker.

I worked for a while at Paternoster Row on eclairs with Harry Noris (stores), Eric Wilde, Hans motto, manager Vincent Rogers.

I remember slipping on spilt water and landed face down on a drawplate oven burning arms and face but back to work next day. My wife got her hand trapped in a chocolate enrobing machine and fir brigade had to cut the machine up to get her hand out.

Happy days - most of them

I think the John lindley you mention is my grandfather. He had sadly passed but he was amazing. Fought in the war, always brown with a tan, black hair and a gentleman.

On 04/06/2024 at 15:33, jonniblaze said:

I think the John lindley you mention is my grandfather. He had sadly passed but he was amazing. Fought in the war, always brown with a tan, black hair and a gentleman.

My dad worked there Tommy Clarke the lady was Audrey Chapman worked with him .