Davys in Sheffield - Paternoster Row

cal1943

My mum used to take me to the upstairs cafe at the Davys in Haymarket, she had a toasted teacake and I had a glass of Pepsi and the glass came on a saucer! Also their tomato sausages were the absolute best......

• 1 year later...
does anyone remember Davy's Bakery and shops in sheffield

Dav's bakery , I think, used to be just off Patternoster Row.

I used to pass the place on my way to work earl in the morning .

Their main shop was at one time in Fargate .

The smell of bread being baked in a morning from the bakery and , the smell of coffee being roasted at the shop used to permeate the whole of the are .

The aroma alone was enough to put pounds on .

does anyone remember Davy's Bakery and shops in sheffield

I worked in the offices on Paternoster Row. Lovely place to work, but the wages were low. I worked in the Punch Card room...really enjoyed my time there.

I worked in what was called the sausage room men did all the butchery and sausage making and two conveyer of women weighed the sausage and linked them for packing at this time all the staff were issued with clogs with clog irons on the soles and heels evil till you got used to them then they were great to wear

I worked in what was called the sausage room men did all the butchery and sausage making and two conveyer of women weighed the sausage and linked them for packing at this time all the staff were issued with clogs with clog irons on the soles and heels evil till you got used to them then they were great to wear

Has anyone still got the recipe for their tomato sausages, I believe they used tinned tomatoes. They have never been bettered!