Davys in Sheffield - Paternoster Row

my father in law bill froggatt used to work at davys, dont know if anyone remembers him

i worked in the bakery on Paternoster Row between 1966 and 1969 in the Confec. Dept and also the Bakehouse. I used to hang around with some girls called Maureen, Rita and Kathy. i remember there was a lad called Glen who used to make the eclaires and was always singing 'Bend Me Shape Me' at the top of his voice. Trevor and Andy used to do the mixes. There was no such thing as Health and Safety then. We used to totter around in our big cork wedge heels with our overalls up our backsides. Our turban would be sat as far back on our heads as possible, Our lunch break would be spent in the howard pub!! Ah those were the days lol......

Tea and coffee were delivered to Davy's in large plywood boxes lined with lead foil. After emptying, the boxes were sent down to the boiler room to be burnt on the two large railway engine type boilers. When the foil lining was removed there was allways tea or coffee trapped inside which was much appreciated during wartime rationing. The manager was a Mr. Woolen who allways gave me a half-crown when I went to see my father. Mr Davy had a son some of whose playthings were passed down to me such as a Red Indian costume and a real Canadian sledge.

Tea and coffee were delivered to Davy's in large plywood boxes lined with lead foil. After emptying, the boxes were sent down to the boiler room to be burnt on the two large railway engine type boilers. When the foil lining was removed there was allways tea or coffee trapped inside which was much appreciated during wartime rationing. The manager was a Mr. Woolen who allways gave me a half-crown when I went to see my father. Mr Davy had a son some of whose playthings were passed down to me such as a Red Indian costume and a real Canadian sledge.

did you know joseph thorpe?

did you know joseph thorpe?

That name does strike a bell but I was only a kid. Remember a lovely chap called Sid who had only one arm but who made wonderful scale model aircraft out of solid brass. I still have a Spitfire and a Lancaster somewhere.

My mum worked at Davys in the bakehouse i think way back in late 60`s

During post war rationing, only artificial cream was allowed in cream buns, etc.

I remember when restrictions were eased; Davys window bore the sign: "None of our products contain real cream. They are still the same: wholesome and delicious"

Made me laugh at the time; I was a cynical kid!

my mum audrey worked on the bread counter at the fargate shop with a young girl we called twiggy that i fancied like mad in the 60s

Can anyone remember one of the drivers Billy Rocket?

My mum used to take me to the upstairs cafe at the Davys in Haymarket, she had a toasted teacake and I had a glass of Pepsi and the glass came on a saucer! Also their tomato sausages were the absolute best......

Can anyone remember one of the drivers Billy Rocket?

The driver that delivered to the page hall shop was called ken spooner

My mum worked at Davys in the bakehouse i think way back in late 60`s

What was her name please

My very first Saturday job in the late '60's was working on the cooked meat counter at the large Davy's on the corner of Haymarket, diagonally opposite the Castle Market - happy days