Davys in Sheffield - Paternoster Row

On 20/01/2019 at 21:59, marina cam said:

my name is david cam i worked in every department started as a van lad 1969 my driver was ruih i think she married ken spooner then went in to the pork pie department jack was maneger  tommy and ann were supervisors  i remember tommy clark we started afoot ball team arthur davys grea lad tommy  i remember harry worked in confectionerys  he was gay his nick name was hand bag harry i can rember alot more could go on all night great place to work 

My name is Ray ANDREWS I started at Davy’ S in 1964 as a trainee motor mechanic, I was under Gordon Bishop for training, after sweeping the yard after all the vans hod gone , the big mobile shop van came in, Gordon’s future wife served on the mobile shop, her name was Kathleen.

I had to fill the vans up with fuel as they came in, and got to know many drivers, yes Ruth married Ken Spooner .l left 1767/8 and years later I met Ken again when I went onto Sheffield Transport bus driving at Leadmill rd ,I stayed there for 27 years....... Arthur Davys was and still is the happiest place I’ve ever worked for.

On 20/01/2019 at 21:59, marina cam said:

my name is david cam i worked in every department started as a van lad 1969 my driver was ruih i think she married ken spooner then went in to the pork pie department jack was maneger  tommy and ann were supervisors  i remember tommy clark we started afoot ball team arthur davys grea lad tommy  i remember harry worked in confectionerys  he was gay his nick name was hand bag harry i can rember alot more could go on all night great place to work 

On 01/03/2013 at 21:26, xxsuzieq said:

i worked in the bakery on Paternoster Row between 1966 and 1969 in the Confec. Dept and also the Bakehouse. I used to hang around with some girls called Maureen, Rita and Kathy. i remember there was a lad called Glen who used to make the eclaires and was always singing 'Bend Me Shape Me' at the top of his voice. Trevor and Andy used to do the mixes. There was no such thing as Health and Safety then. We used to totter around in our big cork wedge heels with our overalls up our backsides. Our turban would be sat as far back on our heads as possible, Our lunch break would be spent in the howard pub!! Ah those were the days lol......

Harry Norris, Vincent Rodgers, Hans Matto, Vin(me) on eclairs

Played football for Davys, probably in the late 60's, although I never worked there. Team colours were a sickly purple and yellow that were uncommon to say the least.  Can't remember any names from then but we were all in our late teens so all will be in their 70's now.

Also played for another but different Davys team at Davy United where I did work at the time.

My dad worked at the main building on Paternoster Row  in the 50s and early 60s. I wonder if anyone remembers him - his name was Norman Cook (no, not the Fatboy Slim version!!)