What was the Fretwell Downing Computer group Ecclesall road?

Ive always wondered what that was when I drive past it?

still around they have just relocated

i remember years ago it was a cake shop, as we lived on the opposite end of the block which was a Victoria Wine Shop

fretwell downing did the catering for my wedding dinner, many years ago 1962. absolutely first class food.

fretwell downing did the catering for my wedding dinner, many years ago 1962. absolutely first class food.

different part of the company, they've just moved out of whirlow brook park to hathersage

i remember years ago it was a cake shop, as we lived on the opposite end of the block which was a Victoria Wine Shop

The catering arm had the cake shop and a bakery behind it, they also had a stake in Hallam Computer Systems who's "lab" was next to the Post Office on Eccleshall Rd.

Computer programmers worked at No5 Onslow Rd and at Whirlow Brook Park, and they had offices in the Finnegan's building on the opposite side of Eccleshall Rd.

They also had the catering franchise at Cutler's Hall.

I used to work at Barclays Bank across the road from them and I think we used to get sandwiches, cakes etc., from there. That would be 1963-5.

Edited by mikeG
add years

I have some very fond memories of Fretwell Downings.  Back in the early 1940’s my mum worked in the cake making department, above the shop on Rustlings Road. Mum was a single mum and I was in the Nursary School in Broomhill.  After school I would catch a bus and ask the conductress to put me off at Hunters Bar from where I would walk up to the shop. Mum wouldn’t finish work for an hour or so and Mr Fretwell Downing let me play in a corner of his office with some toys he had there for me. As I grew older I would go there in the school holidays and do odd jobs like tidying up or collecting empty milk bottles.  I can still remember the gorgeous smell of fresh baked bread as I entered the shop. The bread bakery was at the rear of the shop. I know my mum had a very high regard for Mr Fretwell Downing and he was always very kind to me. It was a long time ago but still clearly remembered.