How Many Different Bird Types Visit Your Garden?

I take it you've already tried sunflower hearts and niger seed? Goldcrests tend to be where there are fir trees.

Yes, we've got niger, black and normal sunflower seeds. We've got one large conifer and a couple of small conifers too.

I've been feeding the birds in the garden for years now - and had the usual suspects (finches/ sparrows etc.) then this morning we had a visit from a young Greater Spotted Woodpecker. A good ten minutes of watching it - absolutely beautiful and well worth the wait. Just hope it comes back now! :smile:

We've also had a GSW visiting regularly over the last few weeks. He/she has been taking huge chunks out of the suet-filled coconut, presumably to feed young.

Overall it's been a bit quiet so far this year. For the first time since I made it six years ago, the blue tits shunned the next box and used a tree instead.

From the list I posted in January, the ones in bold have been seen (or heard) this year:

- regular visitors; chaffinches, blue tits, coal tits, great tits, long tailed tits, goldcrest, tawny owl, wood pigeons, magpies, jays, crows, rooks, blackbirds, robins, dunnocks, wrens and moorhens.

- occasional visitors; nuthatches, treecreeper, greenfinches, bull finches, goldfinches, mistle thrush, grey wagtails, redwings, collared doves, greater spotted woodpecker, lesser spotted woodpecker, heron, mallard, mandarin ducks.

- rarely; blackcap, sparrowhawk, barn owl, dipper, kingfisher.

Shame about the moorhens as they've nested for the last three years.

- regular visitors; chaffinches, blue tits, coal tits, great tits, long tailed tits, goldcrest, tawny owl, wood pigeons, magpies, jays, crows, rooks, blackbirds, robins, dunnocks, wrens and moorhens.

- occasional visitors; nuthatches, treecreeper, greenfinches, bull finches, goldfinches, mistle thrush, grey wagtails, redwings, collared doves, greater spotted woodpecker, lesser spotted woodpecker, heron, mallard, mandarin ducks.

- rarely; blackcap, sparrowhawk, barn owl, dipper, kingfisher.

Shame about the moorhens as they've nested for the last three years.

I'll swap your garden for mine.

I hope you lot don't have like 20 feeders on one tree.

Edited by Trev38

I was thinking the same :hihi:

Well earlier this Spring we have had a Blackbird nest that successfully raised and fledged chicks. We currently now have another pair of Blackbirds with a nest with eggs. We are more excited now as we have a Robins nest currently with chicks hatched yesterday !. This is the first time we have had anything nest in our garden, it's like the buses ! 3 come at once ! :):)

Yeah, must admit we're quite lucky really :D

Been feeding regularly now for about 18 months.

Took the birds ages to find our feed.

Now we have regular visits from Blue Tits, Coal Tits and Great Tits. We have a Robin that lives behind the shed, a wren that was living in our eaves, and Dunnocks in the Leylandi. Sparrows have only recently started coming, and we have Blackbirds running across the lawn.

We have a pair of massive Woodpigeons that hoover up anything falling out of the feeders. Recently, one has managed to work out how to get his head inside the cage feeders and steal the seeds!

Magpies are a pain in the backside though, as they scare off most things. Once saw one take a Long Tailed Tit in mid air, and it proceeded to rip it apart on the shed roof.

Also get Collared Doves, Long Tailed Tits, and the odd Sparrowhawk flying across. Haven't seen one finch of any variety though. Not even a Greenfinch. HEARD some Goldfinches, but haven't seen them on the garden.

Don't think we've seen either a Song Thrush or a Starling for years.

We can hear Owls down in the woods (Bowden Woods), and have seen Green Woodpeckers down there too.

The squirrel keeps trying to get at the feed, but we bought some decent metal caged feeders that have so far defeated him. He regularly drinks the water tray dry though.

In the field at the end of our garden we have no less than 8 breeding pairs of Lapwings (peewits) On the RSPB site they are an endangered species.

We didnt know what the were at first, but now feel rather privileged to be able to watch them everyday. We have been here a while and this is the first year they have visited.

I've not regularly had house sparrows in the garden since we moved in but now they have fledglings they seem to be using my garden as a nursery. I counted 10 this morning.

In even better news the people over the road are moving today....and taking their cat with them!

Not in the garden, but I spotted a Buzzard on our way to Skegness last weekend, it was by the side of the A1 just as you join it from the A57. It was sat on the fence around 6ft from a crow and they were just looking at each other!

Strictly not in my garden, but I had a peregrine over the house this morning which swooped into Meersbrook park.