How Many Different Bird Types Visit Your Garden?

In the Autum onwards until Spring I always put out bird feeders,peanuts,seed at first then as the temperature drops I add fatballs which they love.Idly doodling this morning I wrote down the different types visiting my garden,up to now its 17 as follows,tree sparrows,blue tits,great tits,coal tits,long tailed tits,green finches,bull finches,gold finches,collared doves,wood pigeons,thrushes,blackbirds,sparrow hawk,magpies,robins,wrens and a kestrel.I was wondering if any Sheffield Forum members do the same as me and how many type of birds visit their gardens,come on start counting!.:huh::confused:

In the Autum onwards until Spring I always put out bird feeders,peanuts,seed at first then as the temperature drops I add fatballs which they love.Idly doodling this morning I wrote down the different types visiting my garden,up to now its 17 as follows,tree sparrows,blue tits,great tits,coal tits,long tailed tits,green finches,bull finches,gold finches,collared doves,wood pigeons,thrushes,blackbirds,sparrow hawk,magpies,robins,wrens and a kestrel.I was wondering if any Sheffield Forum members do the same as me and how many type of birds visit their gardens,come on start counting!.:huh::confused:

40 up to now but that has been over a period of 11 years. I'd list them if you didn't think it would be too boring. But I've never seen a tree sparrow so you've got one over on me there already!

NB You really ought to keep on feeding them throughout the year, especially when they're busy raising their young.

Are you sure those tree sparrows aren't hedge sparrows (dunnocks) or house sparrows in trees? Tree sparrows are really rare and seldom visit gardens.

I've just done a quick count and reckon I've seen 40 or so species in or from my garden but probably about 25 or so have actually set foot on the property.

In the past in Meersbrook we used to have around 26 varieties, so I'm really envious of those touching the 40 mark.

We have a constant pair of Dunnocks, Magpies and woodpigeons on a daily basis despite bird feeders and plenty of seed and apples. If we're lucky and it's cold as it was last week we get blue tits, coal tits, great tits and blackbirds and that I consider to be a great day for birdwatching. I don't know if it's the decline or what but I hardly ever see garden birds these days despite my efforts it must be the locality I'm in not near any vast amount of trees maybe.

---------- Post added 01-12-2012 at 21:26 ----------

Are you sure those tree sparrows aren't hedge sparrows (dunnocks) or house sparrows in trees? Tree sparrows are really rare and seldom visit gardens.

I've just done a quick count and reckon I've seen 40 or so species in or from my garden but probably about 25 or so have actually set foot on the property.

Quite right about the tree sparrows, I've never seen one yet :)

In the past week, we've had the priviledge of a pair of nuthatches and a (regular, but not recently) goldcrest.....

In the past week, we've had the priviledge of a pair of nuthatches and a (regular, but not recently) goldcrest.....

Lovely colours the nuthatch....really envious! I sometimes see them where I work I love the way Goldcrests flit around so quickly, they need feeding to keep up their fat reserves (like all small birds) to keep alive overnight....bless em...

In the past in Meersbrook we used to have around 26 varieties, so I'm really envious of those touching the 40 mark.

We have a constant pair of Dunnocks, Magpies and woodpigeons on a daily basis despite bird feeders and plenty of seed and apples. If we're lucky and it's cold as it was last week we get blue tits, coal tits, great tits and blackbirds and that I consider to be a great day for birdwatching. I don't know if it's the decline or what but I hardly ever see garden birds these days despite my efforts it must be the locality I'm in not near any vast amount of trees maybe.

I've got a big view from the garden out from Walkley over Rivelin and Loxley so regularly see migrating birds like geese and a good range of raptors. My actual garden tally is similar to yours in Meersbrook. A bemused pheasant was the oddest visitor we've had.

Similar to you really, although not seen a tree sparrow.

Also get a nuthatch (new this year!), siskins, dunnocks, jays (occasionally). We've also had occasional visitors at different times of the year including redwings and a pair of blackcaps one year, and a very occasional goldcrest.

We've also had robins, wrens and blue tits (in a nest box) nesting in various part of our (small) suburban garden.

It never ceases to amaze me how many different birds we get - and I never tire of watching them. We're near some woods but we have never had a woodpecker in the garden.

It's also interesting to see how the visitors to the garden change over the years. For years I never even saw a goldfinch, but these days they seem to be one of the most common visitors; and we used to get loads of starlings but I haven't seen one in the garden for some years now. Actually thinking about it house sparrows don't seem to visit very often anymore either.

We feed the birds sunflower seeds and nyjer seed all year round and also meal worms sometimes.

We've still not seen a waxwing though.

Blue tits, great tits, coal tits, long tailed tits, nuthatch, robins, blackbirds, wrens, wood pigeons, magpies, crows, dunnocks, house sparrows, starlings, goldfinches, sparrowhawk,greater spotted wodpecker, a goldcrest once, and just once, a male pheasant.

Edited by algy

Lovely colours the nuthatch....really envious! I sometimes see them where I work I love the way Goldcrests flit around so quickly, they need feeding to keep up their fat reserves (like all small birds) to keep alive overnight....bless em...

Agree about the nuthatches, and yes, you can't help but wonder how Goldcrests and the slightly larger wren survive these cold nights.

Up to circa five years ago, we were treated to occasional sightings of Firecrests too - and yes, positive identification - which is so, so rare this far north. Believed to be courtesy of a large, unruly victorian garden next door, which unfortunately was lost to planning consent being granted for a new bungalow.....

This year's big change has been bullfinches - we've seen the occasional male in the past, but this year we've had at least 3 pairs, and subsequently many juveniles....

House sparrow - lots and lots of them

Dunnock

Blue tit

Great tit

Wood pigeon

Blackbird

Carrion Crow

Magpie

Starling (only seen 2 at a time)

Long tailed tit

Thrush

Sparrowhawk

Robin

and, in the tree just past the end of our garden, a Great Spotted Woodpecker

Not that many species, but I've recently added a new feeder and started putting out different foods, so hopefully we will get a few more. I heard a pair of Tawny owls calling regularly over spring/summer but never saw them.

Edited by Number Six
additions