Milking the poor to make the rich.. richer.

How do you know people are council tenants-many such houses have been traded since the law allowed tenants to purchase.You do seem rather envious.By the way the cars may belong to the working children.
It was also the case years ago before the option to buy was first made available.

If the cars belong to working children, that would also suggest a tidy income for the household. And why, oh why, would I be 'jealous' of somebody who lives on a council estate?? Are you serious?

It was also the case years ago before the option to buy was first made available.

If the cars belong to working children, that would also suggest a tidy income for the household. And why, oh why, would I be 'jealous' of somebody who lives on a council estate?? Are you serious?

There are very few council estates left .To address your question the tenants may enjoy low rents and a comfortable lifestyle and benefit from good neighbours ie sociable types who are not snobby and stuck in the rat race.That would be something a sensible person might envy.

There are very few council estates left .To address your question the tenants may enjoy low rents and a comfortable lifestyle and benefit from good neighbours ie sociable types who are not snobby and stuck in the rat race.That would be something a sensible person might envy.
Oh this is priceless!

Very few council estates left. What about Manor, Wybourne, Parson Cross, Shiregreen, Low Edges, Owlthorpe, to name but a few - there are even enclaves in Totley and Dore.

'Comfortable lifestyle' - read 'they're happy to live in a sink estate to save a few hundred pounds a month'.

'Good neighbours and sociable types' - read 'criminals between sentences, problem families, burglars, dhs scammers, assorted scrotes and druggies'.

Do you really think somebody would envy that? Are you for real?

Oh this is priceless!

Very few council estates left. What about Manor, Wybourne, Parson Cross, Shiregreen, Low Edges, Owlthorpe, to name but a few - there are even enclaves in Totley and Dore.

'Comfortable lifestyle' - read 'they're happy to live in a sink estate to save a few hundred pounds a month'.

'Good neighbours and sociable types' - read 'criminals between sentences, problem families, burglars, dhs scammers, assorted scrotes and druggies'.

Do you really think somebody would envy that? Are you for real?

No i am a product of your imagination.I really suspect you are a council tenant as I have never known anyone with such a detailed and genuine experience of life in these areas.It does go to show that the underclass contains a few gems,albeit rough diamonds.Well done,Conrod,you are a great role model for others seeking to escape.

No i am a product of your imagination.I really suspect you are a council tenant as I have never known anyone with such a detailed and genuine experience of life in these areas.It does go to show that the underclass contains a few gems,albeit rough diamonds.Well done,Conrod,you are a great role model for others seeking to escape.
Well, you are too kind. While I haven't been a council house tenant I have ventured into such places; I do on occasion drive through a council estate which allows me to cut out a roundabout on the ring road. It saves a few minutes but I almost feel the need to clean the car's tyres afterwards.

That said it can be entertaining in a voyeuristic way, seeing the shell suits, fat people, young mothers with multi-hued broods, chip shops, Spar/Coop type shops and pubs overflowing with unsavoury-looking types who crowd the doorways indulging in that great hobby of the cerebrally-challenged: smoking.

So redistribute the land tomorrow. Give each of the UK's 60 million or so people 1/60000000 of the land. Within months, there will be rich landowners and poor landless fools, because some people have drive and others are stupid. Just accept it, equality is a dream.

I took an economics class once, and the instructor said that you could take all of the money in the US and divide it equally among every adult over age 21. Within five years, most of those who had originally been rich would be rich again, and most of the people who started out poor would be poor again.

Well, you are too kind. While I haven't been a council house tenant I have ventured into such places; I do on occasion drive through a council estate which allows me to cut out a roundabout on the ring road. It saves a few minutes but I almost feel the need to clean the car's tyres afterwards.

That said it can be entertaining in a voyeuristic way, seeing the shell suits, fat people, young mothers with multi-hued broods, chip shops, Spar/Coop type shops and pubs overflowing with unsavoury-looking types who crowd the doorways indulging in that great hobby of the cerebrally-challenged: smoking.

I like a person who can advance in life,demonstrate upward social mobility,yet retains an attachment with family,ex-girlfriends,old school chums.What you modestly dressed up was in fact a detour on your way home to keep in touch with the 'hood

Yes, we should never stop trying....

But, It's an uneven playing field and some people are more equal than others. Thats ever more the case as wealth and entitlement get passed down.

Nothing to do with hard work or intelligence.

I agree with the op, the rich have been exploiting the poor to get richer.

I think you are either part of the problem, part of the solution or at the bottom of the equation. We do have a choice.

Or you gonna shop at tesco or an independent today? Are you going to pay fees or fines or fight it? Are you gonna go with the flow or swim against the tide? Do you believe what the media says or do you question it? Etc. Etc.

You can inherit money, but it takes a certain level of intelligence to hang onto it. Not everyone who starts out well continues to do well. I know people who have started out fabulously, inherited money, businesses and other assets, but in less than 10 years, have nearly lost it all.

I took an economics class once, and the instructor said that you could take all of the money in the US and divide it equally among every adult over age 21. Within five years, most of those who had originally been rich would be rich again, and most of the people who started out poor would be poor again.

Its refreshing to see that the USA also has teachers that trade in cliche.Did they also teach you that if you laid all the economics teachers in a straight line,you would not reach a consensus.I take you were in the poor group.

I like a person who can advance in life,demonstrate upward social mobility,yet retains an attachment with family,ex-girlfriends,old school chums.What you modestly dressed up was in fact a detour on your way home to keep in touch with the 'hood
Funnily enough, I do keep in touch with old girlfriends and schoolchums.

What a nasty, mean spitited, and anally retentive person you must be; I almost feel sorry for you.

Do you try hard to be spiteful and offensive or does it come naturally?

What a nasty, mean spitited, and anally retentive person you must be; I almost feel sorry for you.

Do you try hard to be spiteful and offensive or does it come naturally?

At least you're not turning the thread into a personal swipe.