HS2 station at Meadowhall! What now for Sheffield Airport?

It's quicker and easier to drive to Meadowhall from most places in the city so its better there than the city centre imo.

Would be better to have the HS2 Sheffield station at Victoria, rather than all the way out at Meadowhall.

That would be far more accessible for people, and about the same distance from the airport.

Not as such, but Sheffield trains already go to St Pancras (as do those using the Channel Tunnel)- so no airport involved.

You can already go by train if you wish. Saving 1 more hour isn't likely to tip the balance for many people.

The reason I don't use the train (to go abroad) is a) cost and b) convenience on arrival, try getting to a skiing destination using a train, it can be a lot of faff.

Re Sheffield airport... it had a very similar length runday to London City which is a very successful airport and means that Europe is easily reachable with the Airbus aircraft cleared to operate out of there.

Apparently the Govt will confirm whether Meadowhall or City Centre in the New Year, although Paul Blomfield is arguing strongly for the CC:

http://postcodegazette.com/news/9002777052/mp-calls-for-hs2-line-to-go-through-city-centre---not-meadowhallsheffield-train-station/

No room in City Centre. See the earlier thread on this very topic!

I don't see how the City Centre is in any way feasible.

The City Centre would be ideal but is only a dreamworld scenario - I'd like to hear where Mr Bloomfield thinks the line and station can go without demolition and compulsory purchase order costs of what would be beyond astronomical proportions.

Don't the stations for an HS train need to be about twice as long as the platforms at Midland station as it is?

Guest busdriver1
Would be better to have the HS2 Sheffield station at Victoria, rather than all the way out at Meadowhall.

That would be far more accessible for people, and about the same distance from the airport.

Have a look at the geography of the area and ask yourself the same question. HS2 by nature needs to travel in straight lines and avoid inclines. Does that sound like Sheffield city centre to you?

"all the way out at meadowhall" is about the centre of the Sheffield Economic Area....

HS2 isn't designed as a commuter route to get to work

"all the way out at meadowhall" is about the centre of the Sheffield Economic Area....

HS2 isn't designed as a commuter route to get to work

I thought that was the whole point - 40 minute commute to London, bring the northern cities into the European/international business hub etc.

It's certainly not to transport Forgemasters' freight.

I thought that was the whole point - 40 minute commute to London

Forty minutes? From Sheffield to London?