Ellesmere and Burngreave schools

hi, I never went Ellesmere Schools (i went to Owler Lane) but we had to go to Ellesmere to the clinic,the nit nurse was based there.

My mum was dinner lady at Ellesmere school throughout the 60s, so any of you that went there (as I did) would probably have been fed by her.

And I was taught to swim by Mr Scott at Sutherland Rd Baths. Apparently he had a bit of a bad reputation, but I don't remember any problems.

I went to All Saint's Junior School from 1948 to 1951 and then onto Burngreave Boys School until1955. Teachers at All Saint's were Mr. Andrews, Mr. Smith (Junkman), Mr. Scholefield, Mr. Breckan and H.E. Hall headmaster. At Burngreave the headmaster was Mr. Skowcroft, Mr. Ferneough (Metal Work), Mr's. Needham and Holly (Woodwork), memory lapse for the rest. Of course there was the girls school dreaded head mistress Miss. Yates, never had much to do with her myself but she was fearful to the girls.

For SAWGUITAR I lived just over the wall from Edgar St on Petre Street.

Hi, I have just come accross this site and see you were at Burngreave at a similar time as me. My name is Charlie Abbott, I have a Brother called Les who also went to Burngreave (he is 3 years older than me) and a Sister called Jean. We lived at 95, Ellesmere Road. I left school in 1953 after being head boy for the last term or two (God knows why!) under the Head Teacher Mr Schofield. I worked until Call Up at the English Steel at Grimethorpe end. I only remember two teachers names they are Mr Perkins and a Mr Thomas (Welshman who tried to get us to play Rugby on sports days at Sheffield Lane top sports field which we travelled to on a tram). There was a lad called Cox (I think) who always took on the teachers, I remember him having a fight withy the Chemistry teacher, the class was on the ground floor just behind the cloakrooms (hope my memory is ok). I went into the RAF in 1957 and then after demob moved to Liverpool where I have worked until retirement. I now live in St. Asaph, North Wales.

From what I can see on the website, the area and school appear to have changed like everything else over the time. Our house was behind a bombed site just above the Tea Gardens Pub? I seem to remember playing football there with lads, maybe the names Keith Agar and Vincent Vincent. (Vin was a very tall lad to us at the time).

If you have any other information about the area and school I would be really pleased to hear. Cheers, Charlie

Did you know that James Elmore went to live in America in his late teens? And unfortunately died last summer. His sister Brenda is one of my mum's oldest friends.

Sorry to hear about that.

Hi! - My mum often talks about Miss Yates, she says that this lady scared the living daylights out of you! Fancy being famous for that! That was in the 40's I think. My mum's name was Iris smith before she was married, and my Godmother Margaret Cutts went there at the same time - anyone remember them? :thumbsup:

Did Margaret Cutts live opposite Ellesmere Road school & have a brother whose name I forget.

Yes and she had two brothers - David and John

Yes and she had two brothers - David and John

I was in the same class as one of them when i was at Ellesmere Rd. School.

Did you know that James Elmore went to live in America in his late teens? And unfortunately died last summer. His sister Brenda is one of my mum's oldest friends.

Hi Lazyherbert and Footiefreak. You two seem to be of my Era looking at your messages. I have given a bit of info in my message under Foxxy. Have you any info to get my memory juices flowing about my past which is getting more and more vague as the days go by. Cheers, Charlie

I went to all saints in 60's and transfered to earl marshall in 70's. Used to live on grimesthorpe rd. I suppose a lot of you have seen the book a pitsmoor camera, if not i would reccomend it. also there are a lot of faces from years gone by who drink around the gower st, grimesthorpe road area.

I went to all saints in 60's and transfered to earl marshall in 70's. Used to live on grimesthorpe rd. I suppose a lot of you have seen the book a pitsmoor corner, if not i would reccomend it. also there are a lot of faces from years gone by who drink around the gower st, grimesthorpe road area.

Those names all ring bells although I'm a bit fuzzy about them. Is the book you refer to by that name and is it generally available or just in Sheffield?

Charlie

Those names all ring bells although I'm a bit fuzzy about them. Is the book you refer to by that name and is it generally available or just in Sheffield?

Charlie

I think the book A Pitsmoor Camera by J. Wrigley is generally available because my auntie who now lives in Durham has a copy - it was her who told me about it. A brilliant book that anyone who has spent years in Pitsmoor would enjoy. Try the internet - you would probably be able to get it from there.

I got my copy from waterstones in orchard square. they have a good selection of sheffield books there. a sheffield camera, a hillsborough camera, a walkley camera, a owlerton camera, a darnall camera and an industrial sheffield camera are others in the series.