Ellesmere and Burngreave schools

Hiya floater,

I played football in that yard too and I remember Roger but have no idea where he is these days. Their father took me and Trevor to what was my first match at Hillsborough in the 1958/59 promotion season. I've just turned 63.

I remember Johnny, I think he was a year younger than me. He was sometimes known as Fairweather and I could be wrong but I think his proper name was Kwasnicia or something similar. His elder stepbrother was called Robert Fairweather who I used to go fishing with in the seven ponds in Roe Gardens. I didn't know he was a tailor. There was an older sister called Joan. I read that Robert lost his son, last year I think. My condolences if you ever read this mate. They lived at 32 Sedan Street in the same yard as Malcolm Hobson and his elder sister Valerie.

Sedan Street ran parallel to Petre Street from Lyons Street to Carwood Road.

A few more names from that neighbourhood:

John Lawrence, Tony and Michael Box, Tony Piper, Eric Nichols, Anne Johnson, David Reaney, Trevor Jones, Michael Riley, Dennis, Geoff, and Judith Orwin, Stanley Johnson, David Manterfield, Linda Wilde, Michael Fearneough, Peter Bloodworth, Melvin and Michael Cocker, Stuart and Alan Smith, Alan Hobson, Keith and Raymond Williams, Malcolm and Alan Wooton, Stephen Sykes, Carl Farley, Christopher Yeardley, Tony Oxley, Michael and Alan Gill, Geoffrey Lyall, Susan Bradshaw, Sandra Sykes, Lorraine Westerman, Lesley Knapp, Tommy Thornhill.

The corner shops on Sedan Street were Gledhills, Bainbridges, Andrews, Blenkhorns, Walkers.

That's enough for now floater, I need to lie down. :hihi:

Hi

I was recently round at my Aunty Veronica's house, (Trevor and Rogers sister) she showed me this website and some pictures of where they lived including the yard you all played football in, Trevor Edwards was my dad he sadly died in 1995 of a sudden heart attack, it is nice to see he is still remembered.

Roger is still living in Sheffield and has 3 children, he has now retired and still goes to watch Wednesday, although I don't see him often.

Hi

I was recently round at my Aunty Veronica's house, (Trevor and Rogers sister) she showed me this website and some pictures of where they lived including the yard you all played football in, Trevor Edwards was my dad he sadly died in 1995 of a sudden heart attack, it is nice to see he is still remembered.

Roger is still living in Sheffield and has 3 children, he has now retired and still goes to watch Wednesday, although I don't see him often.

Hello B,

Your dad was a good footballer when he was in his teens. Did you know he played for Sheffield Boys?

There is a scan of a programme for a match he played in at Hillsborough on the Sheffield History forum. Here's a link for it. You might have to register with that forum to view it.

In the programme notes it describes him as "small in stature but strong keen tackler, never knows when he's beaten". That was Trevor!

My name is Brett by the way, Yes I did, I ended following in his footsteps and playing for them myself, we had a copy of that programme at home, I think he was proud of that statement, I was a similar player although he always said i had a bit more skill than him.

I couldn't imagine my uncle Roger as a bully my dad always used to say if it wasn't for him he would still be in short trousers!

Thanks for the link do you know of anymore pictures and stuff i could see anywhere, would be good to see them.

Nice one we Must Know some of the same people.Do you remember

Mr Kettlewell, Mr Baker, Mrs Leake Miss Chapman and Miss King and do you remember the massive Gas Explosion(check out Burngreave Messenger ''The view from Byron Wood school'') Thank you for your responce[/quote Hi I went to Burngreave School and Ellesmeres School in the late sixties and early seventies. We lived on Thorndon Road at number 101. Does anyone have any photos of Thorndon Road ? I need some for a book I'm writing about the area and the people who lived there, magical place XXX My name is Clare my sisters are Anne and Wendy we were the Hinchliffes.

My name is Brett by the way, Yes I did, I ended following in his footsteps and playing for them myself, we had a copy of that programme at home, I think he was proud of that statement, I was a similar player although he always said i had a bit more skill than him.

I couldn't imagine my uncle Roger as a bully my dad always used to say if it wasn't for him he would still be in short trousers!

Thanks for the link do you know of anymore pictures and stuff i could see anywhere, would be good to see them.

hello there,was your dads dad(your grandad) called lol edwards who lived in pitsmoor on the flats

does anyone remeber me Rita butcher i lived on petre street from 1966 to 1972 my best friends were diane sharp who lived in edgar street Tina gregory who live on the big hill of edgar street can't remember the name of the hill now and sandra wagstaff who lived at the bottom of the big hill

hi this is tony gregory tina's son and she definitely remembers you and sandra waggstaff she had two other kids with rob eals do you remember him

. Does anyone have any photos of Thorndon Road ?

There are some on here:-

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?searchterms=thorndon+road+burngreave&action=search&keywords=Ref_No_increment%2CTitle%2CLocation%2CFurther_Information%2CKeywords%3BMATCHES%3B%28%5E%7C%5B%5Ea-zA-Z%5D%29thorndon%28%24%7C%5B%5Ea-zA-Z%5D%29%3BAND%3BRef_No_increment%2CTitle%2CLocation%2CFurther_Information%2CKeywords%3BMATCHES%3B%28%5E%7C%5B%5Ea-zA-Z%5D%29road%28%24%7C%5B%5Ea-zA-Z%5D%29%3BAND%3BRef_No_increment%2CTitle%2CLocation%2CFurther_Information%2CKeywords%3BMATCHES%3B%28%5E%7C%5B%5Ea-zA-Z%5D%29burngreave%28%24%7C%5B%5Ea-zA-Z%5D%29%3B

if that link doesn't work,

http://www.picturesheffield.com/

and then search for Thorndon Road and BURNGREAVE

Otherwise search may not come back with anything.

Search for surrounding streets as wll, i.e. Lyons Street, Harleston Street, Edgar Street (with Burngreave), as some of these show pictures of Thorndon Road as well.

There is one picture of your Mum's sheets !

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s29092&pos=23&action=zoom&id=91375

---------- Post added 31-03-2013 at 11:32 ----------

This picture may also be of particular of interest to you.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s13123&pos=5&action=zoom&id=16007

None of us knew what most of those factories made in those days, let alone anything about the effects of lead poisoning.

With the wind coming in a normal SW direction most of the residue from this factory would have headed in the direction of Rotherham, but with an Easterly it would have gone straight through your (and everyone else's) bedroom windows. And where you lived was less than 200 yards away.

Admittedly, Mrs Thatcher inadvertently sorted that issue out soon afterwards (but only after the area was demolished) , but I dread to think of the adverse effects it has probably had on the future health of a lot of pupils from these schools, who lived in the surrounding streets.

Edited by geocol

Hi Taffy, I have just read some of your memories of Ellesmere and Burngreave schools and are. My Name is Charlie Abbott and I lived at 95, Ellesmere Road with my Brother Les and sister Jean. I left Burngreave in 1954 and went to work at English Steel Corporation in the Sheet Metal & Spring Shops. I worked in there with a German chap who stayed here after the War. I also worked at Franks Fishing tackle shop on Attercliffe Road before going into National Service.

I cannot trace your reference to the Lad you refer to as Vincent Kennedy, which led to your reply above. I remember a very tall lad by the name of Vincent (think it may have been Kennedy) who used to knock around with us. We played footy on the bombed area just above the Tea Gardens. That was just at the back of our house on Ellesmere Road, I could jump over the back wall and be on the "pitch".

I went to Scotland with the school durin the early part of May just before the Queens Coronation and have pictures of us all. I also remeber a lad named Keith Agar (?) who lived on the right hand side of the hill that went up to Burngreave School entrance at the end of the school building. The other side of the road was demolished, bombed I think!

I hope you are still reading these and get this enquiry. Maybe you can fill me in with any memories you can recall. I live in St. Asaph, North Wales. Cheers, Charlie

Charlie you are spot on it was vince kennedy , i to still have the photos

from Scotland i was looking at them a few weeks ago,

the last time we saw each other was in franks shop you had just found

a way to dye the canes for the rods you made, at that time i was making split cane rods, wish i had a few now,I used to see your Jean since she lived opp my cousin on Kenddell rd always used to ask about you.

do you remember peter fisher he died two years ago,

hope you are keeping well , when i had my 65 , peter clark & stan rogers came it was a nice supprise best wishes regards keith ager

We always called it Harleston Hill. Do any of you remember the Black lead factory , half way down. We spent hours playing in the sand that was delivered and spilt all over the pavement. I remember the night when the factory caught alight in the 50.s. I lived in Earsham Street. Reading some of the posts brings so many memories back.

Jim (Hardy), your mention of Robert Fairweather triggered a memory. I certainly knocked about with him and remember him falling from the top of the slide in Firth Park and knocking himself unconscious, an ambulance attended.

I was at Ellesmere School until 1962. Passed my 11 plus exam and went to King Teds. Still got some old pics of the Ellesmere School plays / Nativities. I remember names such as, John Whitworth, Lesley Farrell, Stuart Hackett, Alan Wasden. Teachers were Mr Albaya, Mr Ellis, and head teacher Miss Duncan. That's enough remembering for now, have to lay down to recover.[/quote

I remember all those people, and also Susan Harrison, Roy Sales and Raymond Stow. Mr Albaya used to shoot us with his banana, and he used to quote dramatically, "And shall Trelawny die?":)

Edited by Emilia8
need to quote

hello there,was your dads dad(your grandad) called lol edwards who lived in pitsmoor on the flats

Yes, we used to go in the burngreave club and social on a sunday with him and my dad after playing football, I can even remember helping him to move flats and carrying his furniture across the road