Ellesmere and Burngreave schools

I'm Terence White and I attended Burngreave school in the early 60's. The stevenson brothers were in my year. Good times for what I can recall.

my elder brother dave marshall knocked about with trevor stepenson he was nicknamed steptoe !

She was two or three years older than me. I was a pal of Trevor Edwards who lived in the same yard, did you know him? I heard he died a good few years ago. I lived on Sedan Street and went to All Saints. I was taught to swim at Sutherland Road baths by the infamous Mr Scott. :help:

Hi Jim,talking of sylvia towell she is still around 68 years young now

Regards

Keith Green

---------- Post added 24-12-2012 at 19:43 ----------

Sorry Floater, not been checking SF. I think you will be right about Sylvia Towell, right age and area. A close mate on Sedan Street was Keith Green ( lived on the vicarage side, roughly opposite the top of Canada Street.) I think this may be the Green Jim Hardie has mentioned in regard to Sylvia, but Keith and I drifted apart in our teens, as you do. When the area was pulled down, the family moved to a bay windowed house opposite Burngrerave cemetery gates on Scott Road. I last spoke to Mrs. Green there, his mum, in around 1990 I think when I saw her in passing. I'd welcome any news of Keith and the family.

Hi David, i am still here but can't recall your name.Where on sedan street did u live

Regards

Keith green.

---------- Post added 24-12-2012 at 20:16 ----------

Sorry Floater, not been checking SF. I think you will be right about Sylvia Towell, right age and area. A close mate on Sedan Street was Keith Green ( lived on the vicarage side, roughly opposite the top of Canada Street.) I think this may be the Green Jim Hardie has mentioned in regard to Sylvia, but Keith and I drifted apart in our teens, as you do. When the area was pulled down, the family moved to a bay windowed house opposite Burngrerave cemetery gates on Scott Road. I last spoke to Mrs. Green there, his mum, in around 1990 I think when I saw her in passing. I'd welcome any news of Keith and the family.

Hi David, i am still here knocking on 70 now but i still can't place u .Where did u live on sedan street?

Regards

Keith Green.

Hi Jim,talking of sylvia towell she is still around 68 years young now

Regards

Keith Green

Hello Keith, that's good to know. I can remember talking to her here about 1959. Happy days.

Hello Keith, that's good to know. I can remember talking to her here about 1959. Happy days.

hi jim, that is the yard where I lived, my house was 130.

Sylvia's was no 118 I think. We were good mates for a good few years. We were still good mates when we both started courting. Both our boyfriends had motor bikes, and we used to travel all over as a foursome. Had some really good times. Do you know her whereabouts now?

hi jim, that is the yard where I lived, my house was 130.

Sylvia's was no 118 I think. We were good mates for a good few years. We were still good mates when we both started courting. Both our boyfriends had motor bikes, and we used to travel all over as a foursome. Had some really good times. Do you know her whereabouts now?

No I don't but I think Keith might. Why don't you PM him?

you must have known my late husband les rushforth he had brothers peter and robert his sisters ann olga and christine rushforth les was a great man they lived on normanton st freeshia

Hi Freeshia , is that the same les who worked at J.H.Crossley later Mandalls

on petre street?

Still wanting news of these , all attended All Saints' from c1949 to 1955-ish. Malcolm Simpson, he lived on Clun Road; John Hill, red hair, lived opposite All Saints'; Malcolm Armitage, Sedan St; David Miller, lived off Crabtree Lane; Trevor Foster, Ellesmere Rd ( Scott Rd. end), Valerie Duffield, Margate Ave I think; Christine Doan; Brian Hill, always top of class,younger brother sadly died during All Saints' years; Billy Lever and Ivor Rycroft. I'll bang some more on when I can put names to faces. A few teachers from the time... Miss Major, infants, Miss Paramore, juniors, Miss Thornhill, juniors who married a male teacher there whose name I forget and lastly the dreaded 'Sally' Sales. The school vicar was the Rev.Murray Penfold, a good Christian who had lads caned for trespassing in the vicarage !

Hi David , it's Raymond Armitage and he went to live on firshill when the houses were

demolished ,carole smithers , Geoff Bailey had a elder brother called Dennis , Carole Smithers mother married someone further on sedan street called rabjohn , also on jamaica st melvyn and michael cocker had an elder brother called David and a sister christine also a younger brother called Robert who i still live on margate drive, Talking of melvyn i think he passed away

Hi all, I went to All Saints infant and junior - 1948-1956 and Burngreave Sec. Mod.- 1956-59. I remember a great number of names, both of pupils and staff.

Mr. Hall was head at All Saints junior and Mr. Scowcroft followed by Mr. Hughes,

at Burngreave. Some of the teaching staff were:- John Shillitto, Brian Haigh (pt), Johnny Holden (maths & soccer), John Rodgers (music) and Mr. Holly (woodwork). I hope there is someone who also remembers any of the above or any other names.

hiya bossdogg, you mention a lot of names that i remember.i was at ellesmere between 60 and 66.left to go to hinde house, i remember janet mcveigh, the donohoes, etc

I remember a girl called Maureen Holmes in my opinion she was the best looking girl at burngreave school 1952 To 1957.This is when the Girls were at one side of the school and Boys the other.

Yes I was at both schools too. Mr Baker was the head teacher at Burngreave. I was there early 70s