Is it going to snow? 2012 - 2013 snow thread

Just took me 40 minutes to get from Longley to the top of Cookswood Road to find the Police have closed the road because cars were going everywhere down the hill. Car abandoned as running low on fuel. Avoid Shirecliffe area at all costs.

All First buses have been recalled to the garage!

It's a bit of snow.....Why has this city once again ground to a halt when snowfall hits just before rush hour?

My wife has gone to work on the train and said she was glad she didn't take the car, because the road down from High Green to Chapeltown is icy and cars are bumper to bumper.

On my journey in I found the main roads to be in a poor condition this morning. This snow was forecast, so why have the Council been caught out again?

Regards

Doom

Don't bother with Crookes in the car. Was stuck on Brook Hill roundabout for ages in traffic (as Netherthorpe Road was hard ice half way down so everyone edging down) but no-one in a 2WD who tried to go up to Crookes was making much progress either.

Lots of people panicking and just stopping their cars in STUPID places adding to the chaos

I was a bit late for setting off walking so drove - was later than if I'd walked

Edited by Squiggs

Shocked!!! Well that's a complete surprise - one snowflake and LAST (come on now..how did they manage to be called First?) buses return to the garages. :roll:

Really? I thought it was considerably more than one snowflake. It certainly was when I left the house at 06:30. Has it stopped and all thawed now then, or are you being facetious?

@TravelSYorks: Information from the operators First in #Sheffield have now recalled all their buses back to the garage

@TravelSYorks: Information from the operators First in #Sheffield have now recalled all their buses back to the garage

any news on the stagecoach 52 getting to crookes? i cant get onto the travel website at the moment.

It's a bit of snow.....Why has this city once again ground to a halt when snowfall hits just before rush hour?

On my journey in I found the main roads to be in a poor condition this morning. This snow was forecast, so why have the Council been caught out again?

Regards

Doom

I agree, I've just took my daughter to school (we ALWAYS walk, no matter whatever the weather!) and Prince of Wales road is ridiculous!! Cars slipping and sliding up hill and down, it doesn't look like it's been gritted over night, and its not like we didn't know it was coming!!

Just been onto City Rd, need to take Bladesgirl to the Hallamshire at lunchtime, and was wondering whether she might be better getting the bus or possibly the tram and walking the rest of the way, even City Rd (nr the Kwik Fit/KFC doesn't look like its been gritted either :huh: :huh: :loopy: :loopy:

But I have just seen a purple route tram go down towards town, but haven't seen any buses, so I would presume trams are at least running to Manor Top, just in case anybody needed to know! (they maybe running further I don't know!! lol)

To deal with the amount that came in such a short space of time we'd need a gritter/plough covering every mile of road. We just don't have that sort of resource. The really great news is that it missed Leeds so this never happened.

Anyone know if the Ecclesall Road post office is open?

Ice rinks do not have snow on them. So no the roads are not like an ice rink.

Blimey! Even *I* believe that's pedantic & petty.

Respect!

I have had to abandon my car having spent 2 hours trying to get out of SW sheffield. I got stuck on a hill. My boss, however, does not believe me. I work in a city where there is no snow. I have to send her a photo but none of mine do the situation justice. Anyone got any? :(

Get a new job mate - she sounds horrendous.

Why would she not believe you, given that Sheffield is a pretty hilly sort of place and it is February and the met office forecast is for heavy snow?

Don't tell me, she's some Southern kind of bird from somewhere really interesting like Guildford or High Wycombe or Hemel Hempstead? Places where they only see snow on David Attenborough programmes.

You got a smart phone? If so, take a short video and email it to her. And if all else fails, make a snowball and put it in a jiffy bag and mail it to her. Try and find a yellow one if you can.