Shortage of salt for Sheffied's icy roads

The problem with last night rain fell rather than snow which washed the small amount of grit away. A sudden drop in temperatures around six turned this into black ice.

The forecast however should have forewarned Amey of this and they should have been out gritting from five to ensure save roads for the public to use.

The probable reason why not action was taken was of cost and paying overtime. If not someone failed in the job and if they keep on doing it given the boot.

Thanks Planner1 to the form filled in and sent off.

---------- Post added 05-12-2012 at 17:36 ----------

I dont think so,somehow.I used to work at olive grove and to my knowledge they have never sent gritters out in heavy rain, it would be pointless,it would just get washed away.However they may have been sent out in snow,which has then turned to rain/sleet.

They have in the past I've seen them out when Rain was forecast and not even a ground frost was forecast.

The general process seems to be minimum amount of Grit up to and including December and little bit more in Jan and Feb and if it's been a mild winter use the remain stock regardless during March, April and the beginning of May.

So it looks like preserve stock and then oh dear we've got to use it up.

Have just written a lengthy message to the council about the state of Carterknowle Road this morning. Again, a major bus route with no salt on it. I took it very carefully down the road as you could see frost covering it I places. As I reached Fossdale Road, where the road narrows the car hit a sheet of ice resulting in me spinning onto the other side of the road and sliding back to the centre, ending up facing the pavement front on. Luckily there were no other cars coming the other way or behind me and being a frequent user of e road and massivly reduced my speed just for this eventuality (this didnt stop someone over taking me at the same point this evening though!). Also, luckily there were no children coming into Carterknowle school at this point. 10 minutes later my friend was nearly hit by a bus sliding across the road and five minutes later there was a crash between a van and two cars. I looked for a grit bin but none to be seen so called the council to report the issue....waited 20 minutes and not sure they actually did anything. Be careful out there tonight and tomorrow.

Have just written a lengthy message to the council about the state of Carterknowle Road this morning. Again, a major bus route with no salt on it. I took it very carefully down the road as you could see frost covering it I places. As I reached Fossdale Road, where the road narrows the car hit a sheet of ice resulting in me spinning onto the other side of the road and sliding back to the centre, ending up facing the pavement front on. Luckily there were no other cars coming the other way or behind me and being a frequent user of e road and massivly reduced my speed just for this eventuality (this didnt stop someone over taking me at the same point this evening though!). Also, luckily there were no children coming into Carterknowle school at this point. 10 minutes later my friend was nearly hit by a bus sliding across the road and five minutes later there was a crash between a van and two cars. I looked for a grit bin but none to be seen so called the council to report the issue....waited 20 minutes and not sure they actually did anything. Be careful out there tonight and tomorrow.

If the insurers see this thread, they may be asking Amey for the costs relating to the accident. As others have pointed out though, this is the least of worries. The concern has to be for injury or loss of life.

Just seen a gritting lorry here in S6 :)

I hope it works and the buses actually come up here in the morning. This morning I had to walk down to Halifax Road to catch the bus because Stagecoach weren't running the 79 service up Fox Hill, despite the fact that the 17 bus (First) was still running, and the bin lorry managed to get around fine.

Just seen a gritting lorry here in S6 :)

Here too on Bochum parkway and other one that goes past Boundary academy,around 20:30.

I dont think so,somehow.I used to work at olive grove and to my knowledge they have never sent gritters out in heavy rain, it would be pointless,it would just get washed away.However they may have been sent out in snow,which has then turned to rain/sleet.

I saw them on Tuesday night in pouring rain, waste of time.

I went out with a small bucket and stew ladle earlier and got some grit from the bin and gritted the driveway and path for me and my 4 neighbours.

Could already see the ice forming, it's going to be mayhem tomorrow!

Could well be a repeat performance Friday Morning if a band of rain/possible hill snow moves south in the early hours.

They must be listening . . . . A61 up to Grenoside had so much grit it looked like a beach this morning!

I've nothing but good comment to say about the gritting service so far this winter, I have seen them out on several occasions over the past month when temperatures have been forcast to be below zero.

Had the gritter twice on my road in Stocksbridge this morning once at 6.45 then again 5 mins later, well done gritter man!

Clearly a response today to the previous failings. Loads of grit on the roads this morning. Gone from one extreme to another reminding me of the old days when grit wasn't issued with a teaspoon. In some places you can't see the road for the grit.