Shortage of salt for Sheffied's icy roads

I can see all the cars still trying to get down carr road from my bedroom window now.This is what i expected now the salt depots gone.Glad im not at work today.I worry that a private company is in charge of gritting now,expect more sloppiness.

Very icy this morning on all the roads around Fulwood including the main roads. No evidence of any gritters.

Amey seem to have screwed up. Let's hope that they don't have a similar sort of deal with gritter drivers that the Council had where they all went home between 5pm and 8pm.

Very icy this morning on all the roads around Fulwood including the main roads. No evidence of any gritters.

Amey seem to have screwed up. Let's hope that they don't have a similar sort of deal with gritter drivers that the Council had where they all went home between 5pm and 8pm.

same (unsuprisingly) up into lodge moor, car sliding all over the hockey

Ameys response on the Postcode Gazettes website this morning was that there are plenty of grit bins for residents to do it themselves, when challenged about the state of the roads in deepcar and stocksbridge.It appears that all they gritted was manchester road.:mad:

---------- Post added 05-12-2012 at 10:04 ----------

Lets hope Stagecoach and First kick up a fuss about the bus routes not getting gritted.

Ameys response on the Postcode Gazettes website this morning was that there are plenty of grit bins for residents to do it themselves, when challenged about the state of the roads in deepcar and stocksbridge.It appears that all they gritted was manchester road.:mad:

Yeah, they gritted Manchester Road at 7.45am, after it was already too late! Well, I'm assuming that's where the gritter that passed us at Oughtibridge was heading to...

I've sent a nice message to the Council this morning and asked why Amey failed to grit a Primary route despite being told that services would not be affected.

Doesn't sound too promising for the rest of the winter on today's showing, then.

No grit around wincobank/firth park or shiregreen this morning as per usual but as soon as I reach Rotherham it's like a different world. The last couple of years when we've had snow or freezing weather I've passed the Barnsley road entrance to the northern general and they don't even grit that, the only a+e in Sheffield.

The gritting lorry was just coming into deepcar at 10.15 this morning.Talk about after the horse's bolted.

First time Amey has had the chance to prove themselves regarding the gritting of roads, and it has to be said you have done a very poor job, and whilst I'll acknowledge that I did spot you on some routes last night, I couldn't help but think what's the point of gritting a road in heavy rain, surly it just gets washed away? (i'm no expert in gritting though) And It's no wonder the roads this morning were in a dangerous state. I don't just want to sound like I want to moan about the new highway maintenance company though, it needs pointing out that Amey have done a brilliant job around Shiregreen with the new roads etc, but maybe they could get a bit of advice from the Council about gritting the roads, or maybe that's a bridge too far?

I've had -2 on the car thermometer tonight so it'll be icy on the way to work tomorrow, but why is there hardly any salt in the depot on Manchester Road between Oughtibridge and Deepcar?

There's usually a mountain of the stuff this time of year and the digger driver sometimes writes messages in the side of it with his bucket, but there's barely any there at the moment. Is there a shortage or are we saving money by putting lives at risk?

Theres loads and it Been there since October last year, some has washed away now tho!

I'd urge anyone who has a complaint or comment about the standard of gritting to contact the Council either by filling in the web form: http://www.forms.sheffield.gov.uk/AF3/an/default.aspx/RenderForm/?F.Name=SExSXrF22qN

or call 2734567

The more people complain, the better the Council will understand the scale of the problem. The PFI contract includes significant non-performance penalties, so the Council can hold Amey to account for any failures.