Shortage of salt for Sheffied's icy roads

I've had -2 on the car thermometer tonight so it'll be icy on the way to work tomorrow, but why is there hardly any salt in the depot on Manchester Road between Oughtibridge and Deepcar?

There's usually a mountain of the stuff this time of year and the digger driver sometimes writes messages in the side of it with his bucket, but there's barely any there at the moment. Is there a shortage or are we saving money by putting lives at risk?

Ive noticed that as well,slightly worrying.A couple of sundays ago i went out early and the roads were lethal round deepcar and stocksbridge.They didnt appear to have been gritted at all.

I've had -2 on the car thermometer tonight so it'll be icy on the way to work tomorrow, but why is there hardly any salt in the depot on Manchester Road between Oughtibridge and Deepcar?

There's usually a mountain of the stuff this time of year and the digger driver sometimes writes messages in the side of it with his bucket, but there's barely any there at the moment. Is there a shortage or are we saving money by putting lives at risk?

No rain means no ice so no salt needed.

they were out gritting last night (wednesday)

amey stocks the salt in Olive Grove and a new salt barn in Ecclesfield

they were out gritting last night (wednesday)

Gritting tonight too in Sheffield.

we only get gritted around Wincobank when the temperatures above 3 degrees,when we really need it they're nowhere to be seen.

amey stocks the salt in Olive Grove and a new salt barn in Ecclesfield

Yeah there was an article in Look Local the other day to say the Deepcar salt is being stored at Ecclesfield to stop it from 'deteriorating' in the open air.

The grit lorries coming in and out of Deepcar usually mean that Manchester Road is well gritted (because it spills everywhere) but without this, plus Yorkshire Water digging the roads up and water leaking everywhere, Manchester Road down to Main Road is going to be like an ice-rink!

Gritters were out and about round Stocksbridge/Deepcar last night, and I didn't notice any slippiness on the roads or Manchester road this morning. Apparently it's being stored elsewhere now.

ahah for sure saving money:help:

---------- Post added 30-11-2012 at 13:42 ----------

Incredible these people!

Negative temperatures do not necessarily mean there will be ice on the road.

No rain doesn't mean there will not be ice.