Xbox 360 Cleaning Laser

Hi, my xbox is playing up?

Won't load games, especially Black Ops 2. Won't read disk's, sometimes it does and other times not. Have to try 3 -4 times. Also if loads sometimes freezers in load-up of game.

Any ideas why this is happening?

It'll be the laser, you'll need a new one fitting.

It'll be the laser, you'll need a new one fitting.

Is the costly and where get it done?

Thanks.

There are two or 3 ways to do it.

If it still has warranty send it back.

Alternatively buy a new drive from Ebay and fit it yourself, it can be as easy as swapping the pcb board over, though for that you'll need EXACTLY the same drive.

Other option is buy any compatible drive and have someone flash it for you, i expect someone from here will offer if they see your post, usual charge is 10-15 quid, plus the drive.

Edit: Btw, if you take the non working drive out DO NOT BIN IT, you need the matching mobo code off it or your xbox is basically fubard.

There are two or 3 ways to do it.

If it still has warranty send it back.

Alternatively buy a new drive from Ebay and fit it yourself, it can be as easy as swapping the pcb board over, though for that you'll need EXACTLY the same drive.

Other option is buy any compatible drive and have someone flash it for you, i expect someone from here will offer if they see your post, usual charge is 10-15 quid, plus the drive.

Edit: Btw, if you take the non working drive out DO NOT BIN IT, you need the matching mobo code off it or your xbox is basically fubard.

Thanks. Will look into it.

If you decide to do it yourself the Youtube guides make it a doddle, just be sure you buy a replica drive that matches yours, the info is on the drive. Last one i did needed 4 wires soldering together, older ones it's a simple plug. Believe me, if i can do it you can. :hihi:

Happens more with Black Ops more than any other game though, anyone having this problem with Black Ops 2?

Happens more with Black Ops more than any other game though, anyone having this problem with Black Ops 2?

We have 3 360's mate, non have a problem loading BO2.

We have 3 360's mate, non have a problem loading BO2.

Point taken. Thanks for advice.

Hi, posted a tread earlier on my Xbox 360 not reading disk. Just watched Youtube videos on stripping xbox and cleaning laser, anyone done this and what affect if did?

Thanks.

It can work, though i believe you can also knock the laser out of alignment if done wrong.

Another option is a cleaning disc, that provided a short term fix for my lad once but ultimately i'd just replace the drive.

Bear in mind if you replace the drive, you will need to dump the drive firmware from the old drive and flash it to the new drive. The method does widely vary as mentioned above. I have to say, It is actually harder that watching a youtube, you might even need to buy equipment to do this such as a VIA 6241a controller or a probe.

Are you getting "Open Tray" or "Disk Unreadable" errors? If so and its an old Phat xbox (especially with the Hitachi drives) your laser is probably dying, try cleaning the laser with a ear bud and some laser cleaning fluid. If that doesn't work, try the POT Calibration (guide Here), only then look in to replacing the drive

Good luck

Edited by wolverine