Using a dongle instead of a broadband package

I have just received a (standard) letter from Talk Talk informing me that the line rental is to increase on 1st Jan 2013 (to £14.95) per month. There has already been an increase this year. For me, two price increases in one year is time to say bye bye to Talk Talk.

I rarely use the Land Line, and I have a small contract for my mobile phone. My main use of their service is the internet. Can anyone who is familiar with dongle use advise me on the best option. (How does internet speed compare)? I prefer to have one where there is not a limit on the time that the credit has to be used by.

Speeds depend totally on your location,and the only real way to know is to try one out.

I can get about 5 meg on my Three dongle.But if i try to connect from my bedroom,its about 1 meg,and very intermittent.

I only use mine as a backup for my landline internet,as prices are still pretty high.

I think 7 gig is about £25,which will soon disappear if you like Youtube.

3 Coverage Checker - http://www.three.co.uk/Support/Coverage

T-Mobile/EE Coverage Checker - http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/mobile-broadband/coverage-checker/

O2 Coverage Checker - http://www.o2.co.uk/coveragechecker

See which is giving you best 3G coverage and then see who can give you the best package deal

The line rental is going up because BT have put theirs up.

Hate to agree with a blade, but I have had pretty much the same experience with mobile dongles. :P

You also need to think what type of activity you use the internet for and what dad you consume. Things like streaming and downloading use quite a lot of data so bear this in mind when looking in to your package.

I wouldn't.

Been there done that. Although in theory they should work and in a way they do but by Christ they are such temperamental bits of kit. I think over a 2 year period on t-mobile I went though about 8 dongles. Most got broke due to snapping the thing in two. Some just packed up and some just wouldn't stay on the net. I'd be connecting 20 odd times an hour due to signal loss or line drop.

Like pulling teeth for the 2 years I used them.

Now I use my iPhone with a dedicated tethering pack for an extra £2 a month with unlimited net at 20mb speeds. It never drops , don't require drivers and I can use it where ever without snapping the darn thing.

My current landline provider is £10.49/month landline (12 month contract), £11.49 60GB broadband.

£22/month. You can get cheaper with Virgin/Sky if you already have a TV package.

You can also get true unlimited packages. You could hop providers every year or so and get joining discounts.

Dongles cant beat this.

You get a dongle if you live miles from a BT exchange and cant get cable. Or if you move houses a lot.

My current landline provider is £10.49/month landline (12 month contract), £11.49 60GB broadband.

£22/month. You can get cheaper with Virgin/Sky if you already have a TV package.

You can also get true unlimited packages. You could hop providers every year or so and get joining discounts.

Dongles cant beat this.

You get a dongle if you live miles from a BT exchange and cant get cable. Or if you move houses a lot.

Yah land line is the way to go if you can. I'm on Orange, phone line £14.95 Broadband £5. This gives me Uncapped download and 19mb. But that's just me, and speeds vary massively throughout South Yorkshire.

When I used to work at Currys it put me of mobile broadband for ever we had loads of problems with it particularly slow speeds,may have improved now of course.

I have just received a (standard) letter from Talk Talk informing me that the line rental is to increase on 1st Jan 2013 (to £14.95) per month. There has already been an increase this year. For me, two price increases in one year is time to say bye bye to Talk Talk.

I rarely use the Land Line, and I have a small contract for my mobile phone. My main use of their service is the internet. Can anyone who is familiar with dongle use advise me on the best option. (How does internet speed compare)? I prefer to have one where there is not a limit on the time that the credit has to be used by.

If you can afford it pay your line rental 12 months up front, it cost £114, that works out at £9.50 per month

Also to add,I have gone through 4 dongles in my life,2 bent and 2 overheated and died!.The current ones doing o.k,but then again it doesn't get much use.

£33/month you can get a contract mobile (Samsung Galaxy S2) from Three, with mobile Tethering, which means you can use your mobile as a Wireless hotspot for the internet, so you get your internet and phone all for £33/month, and it's truly unlimited too, so there's no restriction limits!