Another way of getting rid??

Taking unwanted pets into a rescue - acceptable.

Tying or leaving them at entrance to rescue - not clever.

Dumping them in someone's garden in the middle of the night cos you know they workfor a rescue ???????

That's what happened to me in the early hours of this morning; an elderly arthritic staffy gent found on my back doorstep - too crippled to jump and too stout to squeeze.

Now safe at Thornberry, but I keep wondering what will be ther later......

they will probably go & get a puppy now

some people have no respect for animals :(

Oh dear Sarah, how sad for him - to be owned by such a git.

Thank god it was with you - but shame on them.

So many sad pairs of eyes - hope is a long way off

May everyone keep supporting rescues - because soon - they will be a thing of the past. I worry for their future.

Once animal rescues are all crushed and gone - what on earth will happen to these poor souls then.

This story is so awful for the poor dog but so believable in these times. It is shocking how people can dump their pets and like Rain Rescue says I have no idea how any rescue survives in this climate. Long may rescues have the resources to continue.

Oh dear Sarah, how sad for him - to be owned by such a git.

Thank god it was with you - but shame on them.

So many sad pairs of eyes - hope is a long way off

May everyone keep supporting rescues - because soon - they will be a thing of the past. I worry for their future.

Once animal rescues are all crushed and gone - what on earth will happen to these poor souls then.

As I mentioned when we chatted now is the time to raise people's awareness of the smaller rescue centres. I'm afraid people are becoming more & more disillusioned with the RSPCA & I know many who have cancelled their monthly donations as they donate to help animals & not for the RSPCA's political aspirations. I cancelled mine & wrote a letter if complaint just over a year ago in complete shock & disgust. A friend of mine is a police officer in Hull he went to a call that was a dog strung up & stabbed (another one suffered a similar fate recently) the police contacted the RSPCA & were told they don't come out. He admits his response wasn't appropriate for a police officer. He didn't know what to do, they had this severely injured dog, in pain requiring immediate veterinary treatment & the organisation he believed was there to help refused. Fortunately people like you exist & a smaller rescue centre came out & got this GSD straight to a vet who despite all odds survived his injuries. The story luckily had a happy ending, my friend used to go visit the dog & in the end got his fellow officers to all chip & pay for the dogs treatment & the dog "Bruce" now has a life of luxury curled up on my friends sofa.

When the story came out on the press there were some smashing quotes from the RSPCA about the state of the dog & that it was now doing well, although in their quotes they forget to mention that the dogs survival was nothing to do with them. That day I cancelled my S/O to the RSPCA as I believed that was the reason I made my donations. Many people felt the same & have also cancelled their S/O's nothing to do with finances but purely because they don't believe in the RSPCA anymore

So basically those are who we need to tell & let them know there are people out there who need financial help to keep saving more & more of these unwanted animals

Please people, don't forget that the Sheffield RSPCA is a self funding group who receive very little financial help from the National RSPCA. They had to raise every penny themselves to build that new Centre in Attercliffe & I think it costs around £2,000 a day to keep it running. If you have had unsatisfactory dealings with the RSPCA, by all means, correspond with them & let them know of your experiences . Change can only come about by supporters letting Decision & Policy Makers know about unsatisfactory policies & shortfalls. But please don't stop supporting them. Just switch your regular donations to support the Sheffield Branch instead.

Please people, don't forget that the Sheffield RSPCA is a self funding group who receive very little financial help from the National RSPCA. They had to raise every penny themselves to build that new Centre in Attercliffe & I think it costs around £2,000 a day to keep it running. If you have had unsatisfactory dealings with the RSPCA, by all means, correspond with them & let them know of your experiences . Change can only come about by supporters letting Decision & Policy Makers know about unsatisfactory policies & shortfalls. But please don't stop supporting them. Just switch your regular donations to support the Sheffield Branch instead.

Sorry but from someone who used to believe in the RSPCA I don't any more, self funding maybe but instead of paying the director an annual salary of £90k not to mention the 10 million spent on their recent fat cat head quarters - not to mention more & more luxury buildings that have much nicer spacious offices but house less animals then previous buildings. The 100 million they get in donations a year are donated to help animals & not to pay nice salaries or build prettier officers. If you want to donate to a centre where you know your money is spent only in the animals interest by people who give up their lives & own money as well as work long days for no personal gain at all except for the satisfaction of seeing an animal in its forever home then send your money to the small rescues.

Sorry I am ranting but I was left fuming when I found out just how much money is spent not on animals but so called "administration costs"

There are so many dogs dumped every single day. I know that there are many reasons why some people genuinely have to rehome their pet, becoming ill or homeless for example. But what are the rest of the reasons? Bored?

Surely if more people took the responsibility of dog ownership seriously when they consider becoming one, there would be proportionately less dogs abandoned?

If you dog has developed a bad behavioural habit, there are so many forums where you can get free advice, and there are guys like Steve who are fairly priced for dog training. I will always be happy to give advice where I can on here and to my customers and if I don't know the answer, I will know where to direct you, like others.

If you have less time and have to work more hours, there are dog walkers to provide your dog with that bit of extra care it needs.

If you have less money than you used to, make serious cut backs on material things like fags, booze, going out, wasting energy, clear out your cupboards and get ebay-ing, walking places instead of driving or organise so you can do more things in one journey... prioritise?

Surely this person must have been ashamed of their reasons for 'dumping' their family member or else they wouldn't have done it anonymously would they?

Thanks for all your sympathetic replies. We've called him Eddie and he is settling to life at Thornberry, although it's not the right environment for such elderly animals. He will stay until we find a foster home for him. Touch wood! Nothing on the doorstep this morning! I kind of hope that he had an elderly owner who, for whatever reason, had to let go and someone thought of me - a note through the letterbox might have helped!