SSD Advice please

Hi,

I'm getting an SSD and I've narrowed my search down to the OCZ Agility 3 or 4.

I am struggling to see the difference between the drives, the 3 seems to out perform the 4 on the read/write rates.

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks

Someone on the OCZ forum asked the same question and one of the staffers replied with this :

It handles incompressible data better for one. While the Agility 3 handles easily compressible data at high speeds, it can drop substantially with certain hard to compress file types (like pictures, video, certain game files, etc). For example in the product brief of the Agility 3 the 240GB Agility 3 lists 190 MB/s read and 210 MB/s write in AS SSD. This is going to be higher on the Agility 4 256MB.

Here are links to both product briefs to compare features and speeds:

http://www.ocztechnology.com/res/manuals/OCZ_Agility4_Product_sheet.pdf - A4

http://www.ocztechnology.com/res/manuals/OCZ_Agility3_Product_sheet.pdf - A3

I know its a bit off topic but i have had a few SSD's and Kingston are far the best with my system, Speed and online help are amazing.

For a single drive system and a typical user then the difference between the two options would be unnoticeable. So it really depends on what the PC is going to be doing, with some intensive applications you may be better off looking at several conventional HDD's and RAID card to get that performance edge.

Also take into account your motherboard - my sabretooth p67 has trouble with the vertex 3 attached to the intel controller, but runs fine (slightly reduced speed) on the marvel controller. This has also happened to others