Trends in some cat rescues..

Hmmm, yes that does seem odd. Not knowing the kitty or his circumstances, it's hard to say why they would say that. Seems strange to try & integrate one cat with another when the two haven't even met at the Rescue. It's not something I would advise.

Rehoming is stressful enough in itself without a bewildered kitty cat having to deal with a total stranger cat in a new environment as well.

That does sound really not fair on you VWKittie and the cats mentioned. I have noticed that their website doesn't show many cats that can be rehomed singularly but to be fair that is the trend with many rescue websites now. I can't say how it is when you go in person to the rescues though. Times are hard for rescues and there must be a lot of pressure from all angles. Without them and all other good rescues there would be so many desperately ill and homeless animals and they are so valuable.

Sorry, but after 20 years in rescue I do firmly believe that cats are much more sociable animals than most people give them credit for, and certainly kittens do much better when they have a playmate of their own age and don't have to face their life without other cats around them. There are also lots of other cats that have either grown up together or who depend on each other in all sorts of ways.

I would be completely stunned to find a rescue that made all cats go in pairs, but if cats have lived in pairs or groups it can be equally distressing to them to live by themselves as it is for a solitary cat to live in groups.

My lot not only sleep in piles together by choice but they also sleep in a big pile with the dog.

That's been my experience over the years too: my lot are incredibly tolerant of other cats, dogs, rabbits and other critters, whether theyre short term lodgers or longstays. Yes we have some grumbling and territorial strops initially from some quarters, but things soon settle down. As long as they ll have space to retreat to. Up on the bed right now there's five furries snuggled together!

The thing about rescues 'pairing up' cats for adoption: my experience is that would only be encouraged if the cats were already established companions that actually did get along. We are finding more pairs of cats are being put up for adoption and when theyve already had the trauma of being removed from their home environment, its only fair that we should try to kep them together if the are bonded.

Hi Katkin,

I don't think it is in dispute that cats that are already bonded might be best to be rehomed together, although in some cases this is not always right to keep them together as they may have fought at home.

For cats to be able to escape when they have disputes there must be adequate space. Not all rescues home check either. So someone in a flat might have say 5 cats already and this would cause lots of issues for the cats.

When you say "we" do you mean you and Cats protection? Thats what i read from your blog. I don't think I have seen CP's website lately but VWKittie said it was sheffield cat shelter that made her take 2 kittens and that does seem to be quite likely having seen their website at the moment. It says about one cat that it has to be rehomed with another "pet". Well who is to say what pet that is? Take a look. I say this so that The shelters can rehome more cats by just being more aware of how it seems to potential adopters.

Edited by Rosa

I think its a great idea to have 2 together, my mum had 3 females all different ages & everyone bonded she never had problems with any, they all grew old together & sadly passed away through old age. My sister has 2 a male aged 14mths & a female aged 10mths it took a couple of months for them to bond but they are now inseparable.

I´ve been reading through all your posts and got abit reassured...After a long time without pets, me and my partner have decided to adopt two cats. Unfortunately we had to move house, so it has been postponed for two months. We can now finally start going around shelters and finding the right cats- but as far as I´ve seen, there were no shelters I checked that were pushing for a second cat to be adopted. Let´s see what happens now!

Iv got 6 all living happily together - all but 2 came at different times.

All have different personalities and there is an established pecking order.

However should one of the neighbour hood cats pick on one of them they all suddenly arrive to assist - Quite amusing really :)

Also it not uncommon to find a few of them curled up together - usually on the dog poor thing .

Its like kids a lot of squabbling at times but if anyone picks on their family or one of them has to go to vets they all get very upset :)

Viollka has already pre-adopted her two! Enjoy V.

We have 2 pairs of cats. Both from kittens. I really think kittens benefit from having another one to play with and become gentler cats in the long run. They learn that biting and claw play hurts!

The first 2 we got get on well but are very different and rarely curl up together. The younger 2 came as terrified feral kittens and we were only fostering them but they came round and are very friendly loving cats now and have a home for life here. One of them barely goes outside! (they have a cat flap) These 2 are very very close, they still play and often sleep together, but they are also obsessed with Monty from the first pair. He is often cuddled up with the youngsters. If Monty goes out for hours which often happens, they greet him on return rubbing up against him and purring.

Part of the reason we weren't going to keep the feral kittens is I didn't want to upset the other 2 but it really hasn't been an issue. The only time we see any bad language between any of them is if Millie (older cat) is having a cuddle with me, and Splash (younger cat) wants my attention and tries to fit in. Millie will give Splash a little bap with her paw if she gets close enough.

So as long as individual cats are available for people who only want 1 cat for whatever reason, I don't see a problem with it and I see many benefits. Including a higher rate of re-homing. Cat pairs do have to be chosen carefully though I think.