Trends in some cat rescues..

Has any else noticed this new phase of some cat rescues wanting to pair up cats or kittens to be rehomed? We always have had the belief through experience that cats are not pack animals and therefore generally like a territory to themselves, especially as they become adults.

Multiple cats in a territory can sometimes cause stress and behaviour problems. Also our concern is that is this trend is carried forward cats will be returned to shelters resulting from the problems described above being experienced in their potential new homes. Plus people in this financial climate surely if looking to adopt a cat need to consider the fees of a lifetime's care of two cats as opposed to one.

It would be really interesting to know what other people think? Of course we realise some cats do get on well but this should not be considered the true nature of the species.

Edited by Rosa

I really do see your point, not all cats would care if they were single cats and many would prefer it that way.

Last year I did re-home 2 kittens together but they were straying together and absolutely adored each other, as it turned out one ended up without her Sister anyway as she disappeared :(

I do think its nice for kits to go together though if for instance they are to be house cats and the owner is out at work all day, it must be a very lonely life for a Baby otherwise...lots of older cats would love it though.

I really do see your point, not all cats would care if they were single cats and many would prefer it that way.

Last year I did re-home 2 kittens together but they were straying together and absolutely adored each other, as it turned out one ended up without her Sister anyway as she disappeared :(

I do think its nice for kits to go together though if for instance they are to be house cats and the owner is out at work all day, it must be a very lonely life for a Baby otherwise...lots of older cats would love it though.

I agree with you. Aww sounds like you had some lovely kittens there. We (me and my partner) definitely agree that indoor cats need lots of stimulation in order to be happy and people do need to think carefully before pursuing the indoor cat route.

Sorry, but after 20 years in rescue I do firmly believe that cats are much more sociable animals than most people give them credit for, and certainly kittens do much better when they have a playmate of their own age and don't have to face their life without other cats around them. There are also lots of other cats that have either grown up together or who depend on each other in all sorts of ways.

I would be completely stunned to find a rescue that made all cats go in pairs, but if cats have lived in pairs or groups it can be equally distressing to them to live by themselves as it is for a solitary cat to live in groups.

My lot not only sleep in piles together by choice but they also sleep in a big pile with the dog.

Medusa I never said that rescues make all cats go in pairs but it seems that there is a growing trend for quite a number of online adverts for cats in rescues showing that there are kittens needing to be rehomed together, and what happens when the kittens get older and they start to fight for territory?

Is the need for cats being together more a human guilt trip? People often hoard cats too but that doesn't mean that the cats like it.

Edited by Rosa

I tend to agree that cats do like company. We have 15 ferals here all living the pampered feral life. Love being outdoors and I have lots of compartments that are warm, snug and blanketted for them to snuggle up in.

I have about 10 or 15 hidey holes - so each could have their own if they wanted to - but often 4 or 5 will come out of the same one. All will be around the same area and all have their known pecking order - never dare let any of the youngsters eat before the mama's have been in.

As long as the temperaments and ages are compatable - I think its far nicer than leaving poor cats and kittens at home locked in the house all day - or shut out in the rain all day - on their own, they do enjoy company in my view and certainly if being kept as a house cat.

If cats were naturally solitary creatures then how come they live in matriarchal colonies in the wild when they are not doing anything to fit in with humans?

Granted, entire toms don't settle in colonies normally, but queens choose to spend their lives together sharing the childcare and hunting responsibilities, and neutered toms are often a lot happier to share space than entire ones. Both of my older toms love being around kittens and will happily twitch their tails for them to chase, hold them down to wash them or curl up in bed with them, even though they aren't related to the kittens.

Interesting points raised. The thing about wild cat colonies is that the territories are much larger, as in Scottish wild cats, which contrast greatly with urban environments where cats are made to share territories much smaller than they would naturally choose. This can obviously compound stress levels. Of course as I say, some cats are really happy to live together and in terms of young kittens this is an essential part of their learning.

Yes - see what you mean and saying. Wonder what CP say - bet someone has done a study about it somewhere. I know The Cat Shelter do have a large living room set up that once the cats are up for adoption - move into there. its gorgeous - and not all the cats are happy to live in there, so they obviously don't stay - but there are many that do - again would be good to know their views.

I think that people in the rescues must come up with these ideas from experiences they encounter on a regular occurance. There is also another great little rescue called Harworth Cat Rescue - wonder what their views are?

It's good to hear different experiences of what works and what doesn't. Always willing to learn. My concern is that the rescues might not get the permanent homes for the cats they devote so much time and money to if potential adopters feel too intimidated to say they would rather take on just one cat and even worse that people take on multiple cats because they haven't thought it through.

Good to see we are not the only ones that can't sleep! :-) Insomniacs unite.

Ha - exactly, I'm sat here doing thank you letters to kind people who have donated to us - about the quietest time of the day and night.

I think sometimes in rescue - you end up getting scared of so many things - and try to put things in place to stop it happening again. Maybe people complain that cats get destructive, and return them - so they think this may help. Often rules are put in place, to counter-act a problem previously experienced HOWEVER, good rescues are small enough to not have to work on rules.

If enough staff or volunteers have the experience to talk to the person - listen to proper requirements and hopefully find an animal thats suitable for the home environment - talking it over between the adopter and the rescuer - then a match can usually be found.

Honestly, its a real nightmare trying to make people understand though the fears and problems that pets experience and that they aren't the adopters previous cat - and may not do things the same as that one did.

Its really really hard, but hopefully - rescuers and adopters alike will listen and adapt to get these poor animals out of the shelters and into great homes - its truly sad to see some cats in rescue pens for years and breaks me up.

Nice for someone to also question the logic and maybe see if you can find any research to wise us all up on it.

night - thats me finished for one night.

Off to the vets with big stanley in the morning - he's in for the snip but hope nobody has told him and he' keeps on wagging that tail bless him.

Awww Poor Stanley. Good luck for him. We will definitely let you know if we find out anything possibly new info wise.

I can well believe that adopters often have their last loved furry loved one in mind when they approach rescues for a new pet. It's almost like being on the rebound from your ex partner! haha

Hope your comment about this makes people think about their motivation for adopting as it's so unfair for an animal to yo yo back and forth.

Hope people dig deep in their pockets for rainrescue and other rescues as we know times are hard.

Sleep well.