Are you a driver that doesn't use your headlights, if yes why?

Sidelights are parking lights and should be only used as such - I'm not talking about the 'daylights' that many newer cars have as they are designed for the job - they are a good thing. This idea that 'I can see' over rides 'I can be seen' smacks of driving without due care and attention. I see parking lights being used and even cars without any lights showing in the filthiest of weather conditions. I don't get it!

That's not what frededwards said..he's the guy I'm quoting...he said "made in the past 2 or 3 years"... as a pedant you should appreciate that :D

It was clarified a few posts later though with the correct information.

I drive with dipped headlights all the time. I see no reason not to do so, and plenty to do so.

My headlights go on and off automatically according to the light. It think that must apply to spotlights on French cars too as these tossers annoyingly drive about with spotlights permanently switched on!

I drive with dipped headlights all the time. I see no reason not to do so, and plenty to do so.

On grey days I agree, but on bright days like today it could deem pointless, and I hope I'm correct in saying this, go steady with the wear on your head lights because it's not a case of changing just a bulb, these days they are sealed beams. Plus using a lot of electrics on short journeys could hammer your battery. In other words when you start up in a morning with the radio on, and the heater already switched to full blast from the day/night before and going straight for the head lights, with the cold weather your battery your battery could do with out the extra labour, once your started then turn on the radio and heater, wipers ect.

The engine supplies power when it's running, the battery is only used to start the car.

The engine supplies power when it's running, the battery is only used to start the car.

That's what I said! Once the car is running then turn on the other stuff, but I was told by a mechanic having every thing turned on and only doing short journeys is still not wise.

Really?? I thought the engine charged the battery while running and the battery was used to power all the electric, such as lights, windows, computers, ignition and starter motor etc.????

That's what I said! Once the car is running then turn on the other stuff, but I was told by a mechanic having every thing turned on and only doing short journeys is still not wise.

The battery isn't just used for starting the engine.

When the engine is running the alternator provides power for your electrics (and charges the battery).

The battery is used just to start the engine, or to run anything you turn on whilst the engine is not running.

Really?? I thought the engine charged the battery while running and the battery was used to power all the electric, such as lights, windows, computers, ignition and starter motor etc.????

Your right but on a short journey the battery doesn't get much charge so the battery in turn takes the work load.

The battery doesn't take any load from running the electrics whilst the car is running, it will however get slightly less charge because the alternator is supplying power for those electrics reducing the amount of charge it can put into the battery.