The Churchyard Murder - Jan 1961

You're absolutely right. I must have confused it with another murder back then. The Star Feb 27/61 reports that Canadian born (oh, dear!) George Henry David Sutton, aged 31 of Hawley Street was sentenced to life imprisonment for the murder of Mrs. Jean Mellor, age 26, also of Hawley Street. Sutton was a crane driver.

Thanks Rog. I recently found out that Sutton's maternal ancestry was Native American. Paternal was pure Sheffield though and he'd lived here from a very young age. I'll dig out the Star at Central Library and have a read.

Strikes me that the justice system moved a lot faster back then. The murder occurred over New Year and the guy was tried and sentenced by Feb 27. At least in North America, he'd have had to wait until at least the summer, possibly longer, before even being tried.

Hi I have just joined the forum and found this article about the murder of Jean Mellor in 1961. She was my aunts, married to uncle bill Mellor, I remember the murder well. I am searching for more information about the mellor family. My father being Joseph, married to Eliza Windle of Burton Street.

How do I attach a photo, please? I have the front page of the Sheffield Telegraph dated Tuesday February 28th 1961, where this was published.

On ‎28‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 14:20, Brokenpa said:

Hi I have just joined the forum and found this article about the murder of Jean Mellor in 1961. She was my aunts, married to uncle bill Mellor, I remember the murder well. I am searching for more information about the mellor family. My father being Joseph, married to Eliza Windle of Burton Street.

hi im  mary bill and jean daughter im still in Sheffield but I visit cornwall every august would luv to meet

On ‎08‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 13:01, mary.shaw said:

hi im  mary bill and jean daughter im still in Sheffield but I visit cornwall every august would luv to meet you will remember me as mary anne

Hi Mary, I'm doing my family tree and just looking down this line.  I believe i would be your 2nd Cousin.  Jean was my mums cousin my mum was the daughter of John and Agnes Simpkins.  I believe your Grandmother would have been born Ellen Simpkins (My Grandad's sister).

hi Jacqui yes my grandmother was called Ellen but I don't no much about my grandmothers family

I would luv to hear more about my grandmother did she have anymore brothers and sisters I was very interested with your message hope you get back to me