Birdcage Hoyland.

Anyone on here recall going to this nightclub/disco? Went a time or two in 1974,Dj a guy with a big beard if memory serves,I really thought it was a good night out.

I was a dj for a short while I worked in the PParty suite at Samantha,s but whet there and did Friday and the Saturday nights for a few month but when Sam's asked me to go back for Saturdays when Kelly Temple left . Leaving me fridays only the Birdcage didn't want me to do fridays only. But I do remember that they had to clear the dancefloor and open a trap door to change beer barrels.

Edited by Asaw

remember the birdcage, went a few times always got a bit heated with us Sheffield lads from eccelsfield and the locals, but still went back , a good night think this was early 80s

In the 70"s we used to hire it for our 6th form parties, we were all under the legal drinking age but that didn't seem to bother them and everyone got served. Magic times at that age. I also remember going there a few years later, visiting a few of the local pubs, was a bit scary but as long as you weren't being gobby the locals were quite friendly. After spending the taxi money on ale we always walked home to Chapeltown on the rail line, it was safer and seemed to be direct.

Also remember the queen Bee Charlie Williams daughter that went.

I understand a few lads from Huddersfield used to frequent the place and quite a few of them married local lasses. What years did it operate ? I live in the area now but never went back in the day. I think the lads from Huddersfield were mainly from an African-Caribbean background.

I was DJ for a few weeks on a friday and Saturday nights. Couldn't get use to having to clear the dance floor in order for them to get into the cellar under the dance floor. Think it is a block if flats now. It was on the corner of the road above the station at the corner of Millhouses st/ King Street

Went there a few times in the 80s when It was owned by Ossie Tyler, who also had the Fleur dear Lys in Totley which was our local.

went about 1970 6th form at ecco school

went passed it yesterday its a large block of apartments now.