Sheffield Council - Do they take fixing pot holes seriously?

When I go anywhere else in this country I notice how smooth the roads are. Clearly other councils haven't neglected their road maintenance as much as SCC. Did Sheffield get a lot less funding than other councils, or was it just misspent? Maybe spent on other things in the hope they'd be bailed out? or the popular theory that they just hate anybody getting anywhere.

I've been to plenty of places where the roads are every bit as bad as they are here.

HGV's traffic is the thing that wears roads out most quickly. Major roads in a city are going to get more of those than most of the more rural roads.

The Council nowadays spends it's maintenance allocation on just that.

I have been told that in the past (and we are talking decades ago) government funding came to the Council for many functions in a "single capital pot", which had nominal allocations for each function, but the local Council was free to spend it on whatever their priorities were at the time. At that time, I was told, SCC chose not to spend all of their nominal maintenance allocation on that function. I don't know the details, I was not at a level to need that information in those days.

---------- Post added 05-12-2012 at 01:17 ----------

Do you think we're that stupid?

We know the council has deliberately underfunded the roads for decades. Drive across the border to Derbyshire..smooth roads.

You lot spent what little you allocate to roads on putting down thousands of speed bumps to compete with the potholes for what does the most damage to the responsible motorists vehicle.

SCC are a national disgrace when it comes to roads.

I'm telling you the facts, you can choose to believe it or not, that's up to you.

Check this article if you want confirmation of the national problem: http://www.highwaysmagazine.co.uk/maintenance-backlog-hits-10bn-20120315

Many of Derbyshire's roads do not carry the same levels of traffic (especially HGV's) as roads in a major city, so they last longer. HGV's wear out roads, it's as simple as that.

The maintenance budget and the budgets for new schemes are separate and one is not used on the other.

i agree, its terrible that there are more hgv's on the roads than cars, ohhh wait, no there isnt, yet another non excuse to try to prove us all wrong and the council right!!

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Planner1 will probably blame the hills next!

yup, gravity pulling the tarmac off the roads lol

I've been to plenty of places where the roads are every bit as bad as they are here.

HGV's traffic is the thing that wears roads out most quickly. Major roads in a city are going to get more of those than most of the more rural roads.

What about Leeds?

Roughly the same population, roughly the same HGV density, roughly the same climate..............yet the roads ar markedly better.

i agree, its terrible that there are more hgv's on the roads than cars, ohhh wait, no there isnt, yet another non excuse to try to prove us all wrong and the council right!!

And of course you can evidence your contentions?

Did I say there were more of them? No.

I said they caused more damage than other vehicles and this is a well proven fact.

From this report by Campaign for Better Transport: http://www.bettertransport.org.uk/media/press_releases/april_2008/lorries

"Some lorries are 171,000 times more damaging to roads than cars, according to the methods traditionally used by road engineers to calculate road damage

"

well by your logic then, bus's cause the majority of road damage because they are of similar weight to an hgv!!

do sheff council still tarmac roads seriously cause i drive for a living in sheffield and have never ever seen roads has bad has they are now

Always been bad, if u damage ur car claim and they pay out np!

well by your logic then, bus's cause the majority of road damage because they are of similar weight to an hgv!!

Yes, buses do cause damage too and there are a lot more of them in urban areas than rural areas.

It's believed that HGV's cause disproportionate damage because of the suspension setups they employ.

It's believed that HGV's cause disproportionate damage because of the suspension setups they employ.

By whom?

Can you reference this please?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawny1970

Yes, buses do cause damage too and there are a lot more of them in urban areas than rural areas.

omg, now i have heard everything, please feel free to explain to us how a hgv damages a road more than a bus, seeing as you are now an expert on this as well now lol

Only in Sheffield?

Do the drivers tweak their suspension when in Sheffield to ruin the roads?

Or were the council sold the "wrong kind of tarmac"? :)