Sheffield Council - Do they take fixing pot holes seriously?

Reported 4 seperate potholes last weekend - as yet nothing done...

So much for their response rate being brilliant.

Guess I don't live near a councillor :)

1 has now been filled in... badly!

The others are getting bigger and bigger.

So much for promises.

The roads around Parson Cross are horrendous and are getting bigger but still the council are doing nothing about it.

The roads around Parson Cross are horrendous and are getting bigger but still the council are doing nothing about it.

The roads around Parson Cross are bad but they are positively brilliant when put against those in High Green.

I live in Parson Cross but regularly visit High Green and Hollowgate/Foster Way in particular seems to be a pot hole connected by bits of road.

The council have to be aware of these road surfaces because the bigger holes (essentially speaking those that damage peoples cars and cause claims to be made) get hastily (and badly) filled within a couple of days but the general condition (terrible) is never addressed.

I'm not having a go at the council because I don't know what their long term plan is but reading some of the defence of the roads and how the council deal with them on here is laughable. In answer to the O/P's question I would say they fix potholes, but they don't take the fixing of them seriously, they fix them as and when they think a claim is forthcoming.

As for those that claim there is a long term plan to make Sheffield's roads good I can't argue because I simply don't have the facts - but personally I will believe it when I see it and I can only hope that their defence of the council is justified.

Edited by PaliRichard

do sheff council still tarmac roads seriously cause i drive for a living in sheffield and have never ever seen roads has bad has they are now

Yes they do.

They make perfect speed rams

You won't go above 20 mph after busting your steering rack or strut ever again.

roads are knackered in new townships (owlthorpe etc) but surely the developers should be held responsible

Does anybody know if there is any legislation relating to the quality/standard of road surfaces?

if there is, I'm sure SCC are in breach - proper dangerous in some places

Cheers

Craig

Edited by craigs

roads are knackered in new townships (owlthorpe etc) but surely the developers should be held responsible

The Council are responsible for maintenance of any road they adopt. The developer is only responsible for the roads they build until the Council sign them off as completed and up to the correct, adoptable standard, which can be as little as 12 months after construction.

So, it's hardly reasonable to expect developers to be responsible for roads they built 20 / 30 years ago.

---------- Post added 03-01-2013 at 12:40 ----------

Does anybody know if there is any legislation relating to the quality/standard of road surfaces?

if there is, I'm sure SCC are in breach - proper dangerous in some places

Cheers

Craig

How would you know that they are in breach if you don't even know whether there is any legislation, let alone what it contains?

The fact is that the Council has to maintain the public highway to a standard which allows you to safely pass and repass over it. That does not imply what speed you need to travel at to comfortably pass over that highway. So, the road does not have to be smooth and level, just safe.

If it was not safe to pass over a highway and it couldn't be quickly / economically fixed, the Council could and would close it.

Have you reported these allegedly "dangerous" sections of road? They can't fix what they don't know about. Generally they do not consider a pothole to be a safety issue unless it is 20mm or more deep. Maintenance and the response times to reports of defects are generally done to national standards.

Edited by Planner1

The Council are responsible for maintenance of any road they adopt. The developer is only responsible for the roads they build until the Council sign them off as completed and up to the correct, adoptable standard, which can be as little as 12 months after construction.

So, it's hardly reasonable to expect developers to be responsible for roads they built 20 / 30 years ago.

---------- Post added 03-01-2013 at 12:40 ----------

How would you know that they are in breach if you don't even know whether there is any legislation, let alone what it contains?

The fact is that the Council has to maintain the public highway to a standard which allows you to safely pass and repass over it. That does not imply what speed you need to travel at to comfortably pass over that highway. So, the road does not have to be smooth and level, just safe.

If it was not safe to pass over a highway and it couldn't be quickly / economically fixed, the Council could and would close it.

Have you reported these allegedly "dangerous" sections of road? They can't fix what they don't know about. Generally they do not consider a pothole to be a safety issue unless it is 20mm or more deep. Maintenance and the response times to reports of defects are generally done to national standards.

Ohhh quick to shoot someone down who ASKED a question, he didnt state that tyere was a law so i suggest you reread his post then say sorry for having a pop for no reason!!

Potholes .... they've obviously never taken Loxley Road seriously ... it is downright dangerous!

I though Planner1's post was remarkably sensible and not his usual pro-council cobblers......

Then he added the second part.

Yes I have down to a grid reference and the house number outside which the 40mm deep pothole it - nearly 3 weeks later - nothing has been done.

Oh, and the repairs on the other one I reported are now breaking down nicely, come the winter weather, they'll be back to potholes - 2 jobs for the price of one...

Maintenance and the response times to reports of defects are generally done to national standards.

I'd very much like to see the evidence to support that statement.