Woodseats Road sorting office

How's about this for an idea.

If you order a parcel, either make sure you're in to receive it or make arrangements to have it left somewhere safe. It's not difficult is it.

Posties don't want to spend time knocking and writing out cards, we just want to get rid and be on our way.

Wow does Royal Mail PR know you are on forums having a go at customers? Or maybe you are not really a postman but just trying to give them a bad name?

RM have a decent twitter thing, they can chase stuff up for you if you send them a direct message with info. Found it quite useful. They will also help you if you want to make any formal complaints. (not that it does anything, you get the usual letter response, pre typed.)

Wow does Royal Mail PR know you are on forums having a go at customers? Or maybe you are not really a postman but just trying to give them a bad name?

Why is stating a perfectly valid opinion 'having a go' at customers? I still don't understand why the same people orders parcels day after day, week after week, are never in to receive them and don't make any alternative arrangements.

And why is that giving RM a bad name? What a silly post :confused:

---------- Post added 27-05-2014 at 22:05 ----------

Rob sorry but by 'you' I mean Royal Mail not you personally. Where I live isn't a bad area but when your mail isn't actually being put into your house where it is secure things are going to go missing. So far 3 bank cards and a credit card have disappeared. (There are 4 of us in the house). Also we have found our mail in the street.

We have a letter box so they should use it. It's not hard.

Yes I have complained - several times. It stops for a while then starts again. I've also asked the postie who does it personally not to. He seems to think it's funny.

How do you know they've disappeared from the porch?

Why is stating a perfectly valid opinion 'having a go' at customers? I still don't understand why the same people orders parcels day after day, week after week, are never in to receive them and don't make any alternative arrangements.

How do you know they've disappeared from the porch?

I know because after several complaints the head guy came to visit me and we saw him do it from the comfort of my front room. He knew who was on shift every day when these things happened and guess what - just happened to be the very same postie who I asked politely to start using the letter box. He admitted he chucks the mail in from my next door neighbours garden (live in a semi but there's a hedge in between). He admitted I'd asked him to stop it and use the letter box and for a while it was fine. That's cos he was caught bang to right I suspect and got a right dressing down.

Then he started doing it again so I complained again (got another book of stamps with my standard letter) and again and again and same thing happened each time.

Then following the sell off I got another postie and he thought he'd do the same thing. I spoke to him and also complained (yet again) and to be fair to him so far so good! I just hope the one who decided our mail should be left unsecured got sacked because nothing he was asked to do was unreasonable.

Small edition like many people I have a regular procession of people who also chuck stuff in the porch - leaflets for Chinese, Indian etc etc. However I have mail every day of some sort even if it is junk delivered by Royal Mail so given the mail was being chucked on the porch not difficult to work out what happened. One card going astray in the post fair enough, even two but four - not credible. Fortunately we were able to stop the cards before too much damage was done and got money back. In one case the perpetrator was caught and admitted he'd taken it from our front porch off the doormat. So Rob that's how I know!

---------- Post added 28-05-2014 at 04:26 ----------

As for your comment about people ordering things when they won't be in. Some of us do have to go to work and can't be there nor can we dictate when things will be delivered. Some don't have the option of having things sent to work.

Some more enlightened delivery firms give you choices and options e.g. if I'm not in leave with next door neighbour at no whatever) or you can change the date/time quite easily but you don;t get that option with RM. Is it really that hard for you to ask next door if they will accept a parcel ? Seems to be round here!

Edited by annbaker

Some more enlightened delivery firms give you choices and options e.g. if I'm not in leave with next door neighbour at no whatever) or you can change the date/time quite easily but you don;t get that option with RM. Is it really that hard for you to ask next door if they will accept a parcel ? Seems to be round here!

Royal Mail are supposed to leave with a neighbour - if you don't want them to, you have to opt-out. See here: http://www.royalmail.com/personal/receiving-mail/delivery-to-neighbour

Still might be a problem if your neighbour isn't in though. I guess if the neighbour is out, it would have to go back to the depot.

Relax Rob your lot deliver 1 billion parcels and 14 billion letter per year to 29m addresses 6 days (soon to be 7 days for parcels). They have to do it for a standard price no matter where you deliver to, and you are the only ones who by law have to publish Quality figures. And the independent ones are very good this year 93.2% first class and 98.8% second class.

I saw the TNT idea of Delivery on TV the other day, deliver every two days to major cities only and no weekends, stick it in a Royal Mail box when the weather is bad. You can feel proud nobody writes in to tell everyone about the millions that arrive, most do if they don't.

If I wanted to improve my security and stop people leaning over the hedge and throwing it into my porch I'd just put a door on with a letter-box in it on the porch and lock the door. Making sure that they could not see the mail through the windows, I've heard of plenty of stuff being fished out of letter boxes after delivery.

If I wanted to improve my security and stop people leaning over the hedge and throwing it into my porch I'd just put a door on with a letter-box in it on the porch and lock the door. Making sure that they could not see the mail through the windows, I've heard of plenty of stuff being fished out of letter boxes after delivery.

Basically the little front bit at our house has a Victorian mailbox which doesn't fit your average size of letter on an outside storm door. Both doors are left open all the time so that the bigger letter box (which they weren't using) can't be missed. I'm not saying for one second that all posties are like the guy we were unfortunate to have because that's not the case. Guess we were just a bit unlucky we got the one who couldn't be bothered to walk up the path and thought he could do two houses at once by chucking mine onto the doormat in the porch.

How is it a valid opinion with patronising tones like "its not difficult is it?" More and more people are shopping online but won't all be sat at home waiting for parcel deliveries. If the current system is so inconvenient for you maybe you should speak to RM management to find a better ways to do parcels deliveries.

One of our posties used to put nearly all the letters for my side of the street through my letter box for me to then re-deliver for him, he did this for a couple of weeks until I had a word with him about it. Next thing I noticed was one of my other neighbours was re-delivering my letters, the postie had picked someone else to do his dirty work. He wasn't around for long but I often wondered just how quick he did his round :hihi:

How is it a valid opinion with patronising tones like "its not difficult is it?" More and more people are shopping online but won't all be sat at home waiting for parcel deliveries. If the current system is so inconvenient for you maybe you should speak to RM management to find a better ways to do parcels deliveries.

I shop online, in fact I order loads of stuff. I'm also at work and so is my wife, yet we manage to have all our deliveries left with a neighbour or in the porch then the postie closes it to lock the door.

How do I manage this? I leave a note asking the postie/couriers to do the above, and on online forms where there is a space for delivery instructions I do the same.

As I said above, it isn't difficult.

HI, just got a missed parcel note and it says to collect from Chesterfield Sorting Office, dn't tell me R/M have closed down Woodseats?!

Shall we have a think what a successful business might do, and then think about what Royal Mail are doing? Because lots of people are getting parcels delivered, they perhaps need to alter their business model to fit what their customers want, rather than the poor service they currently provide. This isn't rocket science, just what successful businesses do. In Royal Mail's case this would be to staff their parcels pick up point so there isn't a 30 minute punishment wait for anyone daring not to fit in with their parcel delivery 'service'.