Plusnet Gaming problems

This has been an ongoing problem for sometime now.The connection to Xbox live and PSN have been dropping but the connection to the internet is fine (laptop's are still connected). We have had 3 different routers ,BT engineers have been out and tested the line,our inside box and the exchange and found no fault.We have a great line speed so that's not the problem.We have phoned Microsoft and sony but they say that the problem is with Plusnet our isp. Plusnet say arter lots of phone calls that they car'nt understand why we keep loosing our connections to the Xbox live and the Sony psn networks . We had no problems when we had sky... Please help

I have a Plusnet connection and have no issues with xbox live or psn connections. are you getting high pings/latency and drops the game or is the connection to the router getting lost ?

Edited by Rooney30

If you are connecting wireless it could other inteferance. My Wireless Desktop I had upstairs till recently dropped out every time my missus turned the hair dryer on. You would be surprised what could cause drop outs!

Yeah, the first thing i'd do is start eliminating things from a basic level....

Make sure the xBox and PS3 are updated fully first....

Connect them directly (with a cable) and not through Wireless....

When they can't get online, check with the laptop if you can get to http://live.xbox.com or uk.playstation.com

and when you say they are loosing connection, but the laptop's are fine, Do you mean they actually disconnect from the wireless, or the wireless is still connected, but they just can't get to the services?

because wireless still being connected on the laptop, doesn't mean that the internet/websites will actually work...

I have a feeling I know how to fix this, but need to you to check first...

my thought was about a change of router/modem box? Did you swop from a Sky one to a PlusNet one?

We have a good solid plusnet connection but occasionally the wireless dies for no obvious reason, with a laptop/PC its easy for Windows to sort it

My lad used to have the same problem on PlusNet with his and his sons XBoxes loss connection but Main PC & laptop OK

He moved to TalkTalk and it seems to have cleared that problem only now he has one with every few days his NAT settings goes strict and the only cure he has found is to turn the router off wait 30 seconds then turn it back on (he is still trying to find a cure for that if he could he would be happy) I am not suggesting you change ISP but his time was up and other friends were on TT saying it was a good ISP

PAUL BLADE - the 'cure' for that is to set STATIC details for his connection on his xBox, then set the DMZ on the router to the settings you put on the xBox!

PAUL BLADE - the 'cure' for that is to set STATIC details for his connection on his xBox, then set the DMZ on the router to the settings you put on the xBox!

Ghozer m8 being a thicko when it comes to XBoxes won't that interfere with the other or do you do the same with that?

Ghozer m8 being a thicko when it comes to XBoxes won't that interfere with the other or do you do the same with that?

The other what? sorry, did I missread something?

My lad used to have the same problem on PlusNet with his and his sons XBoxes loss connection but Main PC & laptop OK

He moved to TalkTalk and it seems to have cleared that problem only now he has one with every few days his NAT settings goes strict and the only cure he has found is to turn the router off wait 30 seconds then turn it back on (he is still trying to find a cure for that if he could he would be happy) I am not suggesting you change ISP but his time was up and other friends were on TT saying it was a good ISP

The other what? sorry, did I missread something?

2 XBoxes only his loses Nat settings tho

This has been an ongoing problem for sometime now.The connection to Xbox live and PSN have been dropping but the connection to the internet is fine (laptop's are still connected). We have had 3 different routers ,BT engineers have been out and tested the line,our inside box and the exchange and found no fault.We have a great line speed so that's not the problem.We have phoned Microsoft and sony but they say that the problem is with Plusnet our isp. Plusnet say arter lots of phone calls that they car'nt understand why we keep loosing our connections to the Xbox live and the Sony psn networks . We had no problems when we had sky... Please help

As others have alluded to it would be handy to know whether or not the consoles are wired or relying on a wireless connection. If wireless, it would then be handy to know whether or not it's the wireless connection dropping or the actual PPP connection between the router and the Internet. It may well be the latter and the laptops simply recover from the situation more gracefully. I'd imagine there must have been some degree of connection loss between the router and the Internet in for us to have arranged BT engineer visits in the first place.

Forgiving the first statement it's a shame he's not still with Plusnet because we can normally fix those symptoms remotely with some router tinkering. Ghozer's advice about the DMZ is good but you're right to assume that it's not much help where multiple consoles are concerned.

Regards,

I also thought that if you start giving static IP addresses out via the router you limit the total number of connections? It's been a while since I last woke up I know!:hihi: