Crimicar Lane hospital, does anyone remember it..

Back in the 50's I can remember my Grandmother sometimes mention Crimicar Lane. For some reason I thought it was where my Grandfather was buried, I have since discovered it was a hospital. Apparently it was used for injured soldiers in the first world war, in later years it was used as an isolation hospital for infectious diseases such as TB. It closed in 1956, does anyone remember it?

Back in the 50's I can remember my Grandmother sometimes mention Crimicar Lane. For some reason I thought it was where my Grandfather was buried, I have since discovered it was a hospital. Apparently it was used for injured soldiers in the first world war, in later years it was used as an isolation hospital for infectious diseases such as TB. It closed in 1956, does anyone remember it?

Hi diksey

Iused to live on Westminster Crescent what runs round the back of were the hostpital stood there are still the gates to the old hospital on crimicar lane,look on PICTURE SHEFFIELD for photos

Thank's Mick, I've seen the gates on Google street view, think there is a plaque on the wall, probably just to say it once stood there. Seen some old photo's on Sheffield archives, some of it was just wooden huts.

...look on PICTURE SHEFFIELD for photos
Here is a link. My uncle was a patient there in the early 1950s; his TB was cured by the dedicated staff..:)

Thank's for that hillsboro, That's a better photo than the others I've seen, the original gates and part of the wall are still there. I somehow thought that you would come up with something.

This thread made me chuckle, it reminded me of my late Mum. If she heard anyone with a really bad cough she used to say *They should be in Crimicar Lane with a cough like that*:hihi::hihi:

The Crimicar Lane Hospital was built by the Council in 1902 for the treatment of pulmonary diseases, mainly TB.

The nearby Lodge Moor Hospital was built as a Fever Isolation Hospital. Started in 1887 following a widespread outbreak of smallpox, twelve wooden huts were hastily erected in the wilds of Lodge Moor and surrounded by a fence; it was named as the Borough Small Pox Hospital. A Matron was appointed with a staff of eighteen nurses, sixteen servants and two porters who lived on the premises. From 1892 the wooden huts were gradually replaced by stone buildings which continued until 1935. The elimination of smallpox did not remove the need for an isolation hospital as there were still diphtheria, scarlet fever and measles etc. to deal with.

Presumably the isolation and bracing fresh air was supposed to be good for both.