Henry Holmes cycling career

I've been looking through other threads which mention the Henry Holmes cycle shops, but the only one I remember was on Attercliffe Road just up from Broughton Lane. Just below, looking toward Broughton Lane, was a little close, just a few houses on the right hand side and maybe a couple on the left. On the left,also, was an opening leading to a broken down old building which housed the Sheffield All-Rounders Athletic Club. The ground floor of this building housed a small boxing/wrestling ring. Also there was a set of rollers. These were connected to a kind of clock which recorded speed, I think.

I think the building was owned by Henry and I got to thinking just what branch of cycle racing was he involved in. I always thought he was a sprint cyclist because we once had a visit from the legend Reg Harris. Is there anyone still around who remembers Henry's cyling career.

I've been looking through other threads which mention the Henry Holmes cycle shops, but the only one I remember was on Attercliffe Road just up from Broughton Lane. Just below, looking toward Broughton Lane, was a little close, just a few houses on the right hand side and maybe a couple on the left. On the left,also, was an opening leading to a broken down old building which housed the Sheffield All-Rounders Athletic Club. The ground floor of this building housed a small boxing/wrestling ring. Also there was a set of rollers. These were connected to a kind of clock which recorded speed, I think.

I think the building was owned by Henry and I got to thinking just what branch of cycle racing was he involved in. I always thought he was a sprint cyclist because we once had a visit from the legend Reg Harris. Is there anyone still around who remembers Henry's cycling career.

I remember Henry as I bought my first racing frame from him in 1958 [London Rd shop] And I seem to remember he was always going on about Fallow field and Herne Hill vellodromes so he was into track cycling.

There is a Forum member called Blackburnrod. He may give you some info if he see's this thread

I'm looking for info on the cyclist Henry Holmes.  All I know so far is he may have been a velodrome racer and possibly had a shop in Sheffield.  I have a really nice Henry Holmes bike frame that was purchased in Edinburgh and I wonder if a job lot had been purchased when the bike shop closed. Anyone know anything about this person? 
Outside of google searches, does anyone  know how would I find out about historical velodrome racers? 

eHenry Holmes had three shops two in Sheffield and one in Rotherham I don,t know much about his racing career although he did race on the track.the frame you bought would have been made by someone else and his name put on it hope this bit of info helps.

Edited by jeff 2507
spelling

Yes it does! Three shops seems quite successful. 

I suspect it's  standard for someone else to make the frame; would this be to HHs' specification? Any idea what would have made this unique? 

Thank you so much for your reply.

Hi again the frame would have been made to the customers spec and would have been a one off order

Star Green-Un, Sheffield.

Henry Holmes (Cycles) Ltd.

289 & 292 Sharrowvale Road, off Ecclesall Roundabout,

Advertising his once a year sale.

Another entry in 1957 advises entrants for the Sheffield Wheelers' to send their entries

to Henry Holmes, 289 Sharrowvale Road.

The only shop I knew of was down at the far end of Attercliffe, just to the left of the bottom of Broughton Lane. 

I only met him once, and I remember him as a short stocky guy with glasses.  The shop itself was managed by a chap called Arthur Caudren.  Henry H  had some premises with an entrance on a cul-de-sac just to the left of his shop. Here he had a static training 'bike with a large timing clock.  A floor above was devoted to weightlifting and the club of the Sheffield All Rounders. 

This was in 1948 and I was 15 years old. 

The shop became Sulivans [spelling] and in the sixties it was taken over by George White,Arthur Caudren had a shop on Langsett road.

Sheffield Independent, 26 Nov 1937.

The examination was taking place of Henry Holmes, cycle dealer, of 322 Attercliffe Common, Sheffield

who said he had never kept any books as he had not known they were necessary.

He had liabilities amounting to £279 and £20 assets.  He attributed his failure to illness and depreciation

of stock.  The examination was closed.

Hello. I have a Henry Holmes frame and am looking for any info on his frames, if it has any value and what I should ask for it. And anything about the man and his racing career.

While this thread is old I hope there is someone who can help me.