Sheffield Airport - sign the Petion to stop the redevelopment of the site

they should save it and open it up for trackdays and sprints like many old airfields have been utilised for. :-)

You don't tend to drive from/to airports though. And 45 mins is an expensive taxi ride. Manchester on the train is by far the easiest.

Every time I've used an airport I've driven there - and judging by the extensive car parks, so have many others.

Doncaster Airport is about 45 minutes drive from Sheffield. I know

I was stationed there. The new link road that is being built will make it even

more accessible. Manchester .Leeds Bradford and East Midlands are all over an hour away, and even longer at peak periods.

It doesn't matter how long it takes you to get to Robin Hood airport, if the airlines you want are not accessable from there then it's no good.

That seems to be the case with Doncaster , all holiday flights.

It doesn't matter how long it takes you to get to Robin Hood airport, if the airlines you want are not accessable from there then it's no good.

That seems to be the case with Doncaster , all holiday flights.

I agree, But the post I was replying to was the distance and travel time from

other local airports. Which if you have booked a flight from there, makes

it the nearest to Sheffield. I have actually flown from there on business,

as well as holiday use.

Edited by bazjea

AA route finder quotes 41 minutes 28 miles nowhere near hundred years

Fastest train Sheffield - Manchester airport 1hr 15 minutes

and East Midlands and Leeds Bradford airports do not have a train link

So they have to be accessed by car or taxi

I think there's a dedicated bus service from Nottingham and Derby rail stations

Doncaster Airport is about 45 minutes drive from Sheffield.

It rather depends upon which part of Sheffield you live in. From where I live East Midlands is as close in time as Doncaster. Manchester isn't all that much further and offers a vastly better range of services and connections.

It rather depends upon which part of Sheffield you live in. From where I live East Midlands is as close in time as Doncaster. Manchester isn't all that much further and offers a vastly better range of services and connections.

Exactly That is why I based my times from the City Centre.

And the fact that there are more flights from Manchester is nothing to do with the travel time, which was the point of my original posting

Exactly That is why I based my times from the City Centre.

And the fact that there are more flights from Manchester is nothing to do with the travel time, which was the point of my original posting

To be fair, from here RAC say 54 minutes to Doncaster, 52 minutes to East Midlands and 82 minutes to Manchester, although I find these timings are more pessimistic than I'd normally expect.

However, for total travel time from home to intended final destination, across the world, Manchester as a starting point airport must be most effective for over 75% of journeys. The frequency and range of flights give it a big advantage.

Use the land t build more houses on that they say are needed airport was always a stupid idea

I used Sheffield City airport a couple of times for leisure flights, to Amsterdam and to Dublin. Both were full and the whole experience was delightfully stress-free.

I now work abroad and would love to still be able to have the convenience of an Amsterdam hub link from my own city.

There were many factors which decided the fate of the city airport. I still believe that the critical one was the business policy of Peel Holdings to deliberately run the airport down and concentrate on Doncaster Sheffield.

I also still believe that a city without its own airport is going nowhere in terms of attracting any significant inward investment.

If, and I’m afraid that it will probably happen, the runway is ripped up, then Sheffield can kiss goodbye to any dream of being anything more than , at best, a pleasant, second tier, backwater city.

It truly breaks my heart to see the way my city is stagnating.

I used Sheffield City a few times to link with Amsterdam flights to faraway places that bucket and spade airports like Robin Hood don’t serve and it was very painless. I am sat here in the USA having flown in from Manchester last Friday on a Delta/KLM code share using the hub at Atlanta for my onward flight, just like the days when I could fly from Sheffield City.

I notice that this subject has been taken up on “The Professional Pilots Rumour Network” http://www.pprune.org/airlines-airports-routes/501409-sheffield-city-airport-petition.html

There is more to air travel than the annual trip to the sun with the kids.

BTW, if you want to see just how busy Robin Hood is and where their flights go to take a look at http://www.robinhoodairport.com/flight-information/arrivals.html