Sheffield Airport - sign the Petion to stop the redevelopment of the site

Bsman, know your facts before trying to be sarcastic, I know more about sca than your tiny little mind can dream of.. Suck ur pipe n get your slippers off the dog..

SilverGhost, I can tell judging by your negligable posting on this thread that you have no idea. So either you post your opinion backed up with facts or I suggest you leave the thread to people who really know what they are talking about.

Mrh. Move on dragon was an example of a small business scratching around to survive, just like all the other tin pot operators up there, flyin clubs and anoraks, the odd citation popping in doesn't cover the tea n coffee bill for the staff. How many more times it was a fantastic back hander con deal about the land, it was never expanding the runways not long enough.. Move on or get the pipe n slippers out

like bsman

---------- Post added 11-12-2012 at 21:37 ----------

Being on the periphery is not fun is it, talk talk talk, about nothing, it's gone and good riddance.. I know a few people who have had a good pay day from the deals.

And your not one of them,how's the pipe?

Are you telling me that the figures Ive seen saying the airport made a profit (before rent) in its final year of operation are lies SilverGhost? Or that the operating losses were reduced significantly year on year until the airport closed? You really haven't a clue.

Guess which Peel airport is the only one which has made sustained profit?

Edited by BSMan

You answer your own question, no profit, do you think the mortgage company will let me live rent free, mmm, no didn't think so, final year, all one staff no facilities, security, fire, admin, unless you call the odd job man, you no, mr benn the staff. I bet u can count the profit figures you boast about on one hand, pence...lol

Didn't we have a heliport (or a helicopter landing pad) at Shirecliffe near the top of the ski slope? Pretty sure a few landed there after the all Sheffield FA Cup semi at Wembley in 93.

Yeah - the heliport still there. But it is for the Northern General air-ambulances, not commercial use.

More BS well and truly sniffed out. Your knowledge of accounts, not to mention the conditions of sale, are laughable.

Was the operating subsidy that was supposed to be paid by the business park for first 7 years of operation actually paid.? No.

Was the agreement upheld that the airport should pay no rent until the airport was in profit? No.

So, the airport made a profit of some £150-200,000 before rent was paid. The losses were reduced by hundreds of thousands year on year.

Next this genius is going to tell us that airports are supposed to make a profit from day one. Thanks for avoiding my question by the way.

Edited by BSMan

Turn the bloomin airport into a station for HS2 and have done :)

Put this long running wish to have an airport at sheffield to bed, it's not a viable option for the area, just the odd few small aircraft owners / flying club to base their aircraft locally. Any business person would not take it on for the airport side of the deal, it's all about the land., always was and always will be.

Why should you care what other people do? What business is it of yours how people spend their money?

Why don't you just keep quiet and let other people get on with what matters to them?

It's fairly obvious that the demand for an airport in sheffield is there but why? Why is it so hard to jump on a train to manchester that takes 50 minutes, or a 40 minute car journey to easy midlands or Doncaster? Why is it so crucial that more money is spent on an airport that is too small to benefit the general population of the city. It will only benefit the elitist in the city and no one else.

Yes it would be great to have an airport and it would be great to travel everywhere from it but that's just not going to happen. People say that they want the airport but the majority of those will not pay the heavily increased prices to fly to short haul destinations when they can easily travel elsewhere and pay a fraction of the cost to fly to the same destination. The airport needs a longer runway which isn't going to happen and it needs to be able to serve the continent. We are just too centrally located and well connected by land to provide a significant benefit to the population.

The airport is also in an extremely good location and the council will not allow it to be reopened just for the odd business flight and flying clubs. The land is worth too much. I suspect that we will hear no more of this until the hs2 station location is announced anyway.

BS you claim that the airport made a profit in its last year however silver ghost made a very valid point. The staffing costs were almost nil. No fire cover was provided and no rent was paid. Even then the profit was only 100k as stated by you. That's not a profit that anyone is going to be pleased with when you factor in the amount it will cost to convert it back into a working airport again. The runway will need to be relaid, the lights replaced, the terminal rebuilt or offices ejected and the old terminal refitted and then you have external factors such as the radar to install and the windmill in Waverley will have to be moved as that's directly in the line of final approach.

Sheffield should have an airport of its own but it's just not a practical solution. I fully agree with earlier posts that we should have a heliport instead. This will be an acceptable solution for the business community that you all refer to as the main users of sheffield city.

Turn the bloomin airport into a station for HS2 and have done :)

Or both. Imagine if transport could be integrated.

Or both. Imagine if transport could be integrated.

Then it will be like Birmingham but with half the rail traffic and a much smaller runway